Chapter 11: Detention

Start from the beginning

It seemed that the boy wasn't minding how slimy and how gross the flobberworms are. In fact, even before starting, the boy looked at the creature with interest. He held it up and looked at it for a few moments, as if wondering about something. The arms flexed with passable dexterity, and from afar, although Snape wouldn't admit it, the boy seemed to be used to dicing.

Seems like the boy isn't pampered at all.

Dursely had quick, strong hands. Although Snape saw that the dicing was not thorough as he would have had it, it was passable.

By 8:33, Brandon Dursely announced that he was done.

Snape approached the working station and pretended to inspect Dursely's work.

"Hmm... this is passable for now, Dursely, though I might have appreciated if you did not lie to me."

The boy's head snapped up. Snape raised an eyebrow, "Wipe that look, Dursely, or do you want to be revoked of your weekend priviledges?"

"I didn't cheat, sir." Came the voice, and Severus instantly recognized the determination.

"You didn't, did you now?" Severus made sure to include sarcasm, "How did you come up with the answers, then? It just popped into your mind? It just occured to you?"

"I read about Potions, sir." The boy was still as determined as ever.

"Read about it?! Do you take me for a fool, boy? I know that you were raised by Muggles!" The small brow furrowed,as if calculating what to say.

Snape was clearly amused. Now, he knew why Potter's spawn was sorted to his House. Dursely (or Potter) wouldn't back down on an argument, the brat!

"We had a... say, a weird thing going on at home. Mum, well, technically, Aunt- she," a hand went up to scratch his neck, "she knew that I'm gonna have magic, and she told me stories about magic and Mum and Hogwarts-"

"Quit babbling, boy!" Severus scolded, but inside, he was utterly shocked. Petunia? Petunia told this boy about... magic?! Wasn't it that she hated- no, loathed Magic? She hated Lily for having Magic!

Brandon stared at the man before him as he quietly said some name under his breath. Eli? Evie? Brandon can't comprehend, but he just let it be.

"Sorry, sir."

Severus was interested now, but he can let it slide little by little, "You said she taught you about Magic. How about knowing answers to my questions earlier?"

"I read it, sir. Don't you remember? We bumped into each other when we went to purchase from the Apothecary!"

"Yes, yes," Severus wasn't interested in that, "I do remember you. How would that make you smarter? My mind transfers some of it to you?"

A hint confusion then a sudden smile, "No. Not at all, sir. I was given pamphlets and free subcriptions by Mr. Flankers to several potions journals. Dad bought me a few more books about Potions."

His Uncle? Last time he saw Petunia''s husband, he looked so scared of him and of his wand. He was a whale of a man and he remembered his name like acid on his tounge; Vernon.

Or maybe, Vermin.

"You are interested in Potions, is that what you are trying to tell me?"

"Yes, sir. Very." A small smirk plastered on Dursely's face. Is the boy mocking him?

Snape searched for anything, anything that can make him feel anger towards the Boy, but all he saw was an honest, eager face and green eyes, the orbs that was known to Severus as Lily-green rather than its actual shade name.

"Sir?" The boy's voice snapped him out of his reverie and he looked away from those green, green eyes, "May I go now?"

"Go. If I ever find you out of bed..."

"Oh, I am not a troublemaker, sir. I can assure you that. Good night, Professor." The boy tidied himself, put on his robes and exited the room.

After years and years... Is this your way of reminding me of my mistakes, Lily? Severus wondered.

He decided that he had enough and opened a secret door that lead to his quarters and sat himself on his sofa in front of the fireplace. He accioed a bottle of Firewhisky and a glass and drank its contents fast, as if in a hurry. He let the warm, almost burning sensation drown the pang in his chest.

----

"Are you mocking me, Evans?" Severus, now fifteen, was experimenting by himself when Lily Evans approached. Potter's gang embarassed him again that afternoon, throwing him in the lake.

"Severus..."

"Isn't it enough that Potter almost drowned me? You now have to go here and what? Sabotage my work?!" Severus was angry, so angry. Sometimes, he almost didn't regret that he called his best friend Mudblood. Sometimes and almost. But he loved Lily, and he loves her still.

"Severus, I'm sorry. They didn't mean--"

"Here we go again, Evans," he was tired, so tired, "Don't. Just don't. Don't ever say that they didn't mean it. Is this your way of telling me that I'm heartless, Evans? I begged for your forgiveness!" Begged, yes, he did.

He understood that Lily didn't talk to him until now. He really did. But Merlin, why is it that Lily had to defend them? Every single time. Every single time, they didn't mean it? Didn't they mean to burn all of his hardwork? He was lucky he saved his previous work! Now this?! Potter might ne laughing his ass off right now.

"I know, Sev. But..."

"I said, don't." He gathered his things with a wave of his wand and left, not even taking one glance at Lily's beautiful, green eyes, not seeing the tears she shed just for him.

----

Severus awoke with a tear in his eyes, and sweat on his brows. He conjured a glass of water and drank it. He was still in the sofa, with the fire now dying and in his teaching robes. His heart was throbbing wildly.

"What have I put myself into?" He whispered in the dying sparks, his heart hammering still.