Chapter 17- Somewhere Only We Know

A/N: really long chapter guys!! and it made me emotional. before you read it, please go ahead and vote on it. also comment your opinions and thoughts!! Song of the chapter: Somewhere Only We Know- Lily Allen

Annie's POV

It's been 3 months since I've seen Brennan. I've been hanging out with Katie a lot, but he's always conveniently not home when I'm at her house. I try not to let it bother me. We both know we have feelings for each other, so it would be too weird to see each other almost everyday. The last day I saw him, he told me he loved me. And I really hope he will for a long time He also said he understood, but there are so many other girls. Prettier girls, ones older than me. So it's hard to believe he will wait. Now that I think about it, he never said he would. He said he loved me...but that was it. I'm going over to Katie's house tonight, though. There's a small chance he might be there. I finish packing my overnight bag, slip my shoes on (with difficulty because of my crutches), then go downstairs. "Ready?" My mom asks. I nod and go through the door and get inside the car. On the way there, I realize I haven't told Katie much about the situation. She probably knows nothing about me and Brennan, I always avoided talking to her about it. We finally reach the house and I grab my bag and begin to get out. "Annie, remember to be good," my mom says. "I know, I know. Love you, bye," I say quickly, then hop out. I go to the front door and knock. I can hear someone running to the door inside. The door opens, and I'm so surprised I think my jaw literally dropped. "Hi," she says in a perky voice. She has blonde hair, blue eyes, and clumpy eyelashes. I'm lowkey judging her. "Um...hello?" I ask questioning her. "I'm Bethany, Brennan's girlfriend. Katie asked me to get the door," she says. The stupid girl. The one who kept texting Brennan that 'bothered' him. It feels like someone took my heart out, threw it on the ground and stomped on it. "Oh, alright," I say. I walk past her and go inside to find Brennan sitting on the couch. I glance at him and I can't read his face. It's full of empty promises. "I didn't catch your name?" Bethany says. "Annie." I turn around and glare at her, then go to Katie's room. I close the door and take a breath as soon as I get inside. "Annie, are you alright?" She asks. "When did Brennan get a girlfriend?" I ask her immediately. "About a month ago, she's really nice. I love hanging out with her." I nod my head slowly. "Katie, do you not know?" I ask her, feeling tears begin to form. "What? Know what?" I hop over to her chair and sit down, putting my crutches on the ground. "I like Brennan," I say, staring at the ground. "Oh...does he like you back?" She asks me. "I thought he did, at least that's what he told me." The tears begin to stream down my face. "I'm gonna go get some air," I tell her. I stand up and wobble out of the room. I pass Brennan and Bethany sitting on the couch together. "Leaving already?" She asks me. "No, actually. I just need some air. Thanks for your concern, though," I say, plastering a fake smile. Brennan looks at me then quickly glances away. "You didn't have to get so snarky," she says. "I don't know what your problem with me is, but you need to get over yourself okay?" I snap back. Brennan's eyes get wide as I her and I continue to talk. "Why don't you hop on out of here and leave us alone? No one asked for your input," she says, standing up and getting closer to me. This is really weird, I've never gotten into a physical fight. Unless you count me and Caleb when we were little. "I know you feel threatened by me because I have a cute boyfriend, who you obviously want, but that doesn't mean you need to get all in my business," she basically yells. And then she pushes me. I stumble on my crutches and fall back on my butt. "Hey, get off of her," Brennan says angrily, getting up to help me. He tries to grab my hand, but I push it away. "You need to leave," he tells Bethany. "Whatever. I'll text you later, Brenny-boo" she says. "No, Bethany. I'm done with you," he says. She walks out of the front door and slams it behind her. I stand up on my own and Brennan stands in front of me, not saying a word. "Can I take you somewhere?" he asks me. "Really, Brennan? Don't you need to go text your girlfriend?" I ask, beginning to walk away. He grabs my hand. "Please, Annie. Let me take you there. If you don't want to see me ever again, that's fine. Just let me take you somewhere first and explain," he says. I slightly nod, agreeing. We walk hand in hand out the door. We keep walking until we reach an area where the trees make a pathway leading to the lake. Since it's mid-December, it's really cold. My teeth chatter, and he must notice because he pulls me closer. I feel the butterflies come back. The lake is frozen and the trees have icicles hanging down from them. He leads me to a tree stump and we both sit down on it. "I'm going to be honest. 100%. I started dating Bethany because I thought it would make me feel better. It would fill the void of me missing you. But I was so wrong. The only person I could ever want to be with is you, Annie. And I know, we're both still pretty young, so I'm telling you this all now. I will always have feelings for you. No matter what happens in these next few years, I want you to be the one I end up with in the end. Even if it takes me other heartbreaks in between. Even if I date someone else for a little bit during this time of waiting for you, it's just bringing me one step closer to you. You're the one I want to end up with." I nod, taking in all of the information. "Brennan, I care for you so much. And I understand now. I can't expect you to wait me for while you're in high school, I know you just want to be a teenager. And I will be ready soon. I just need a couple years to grow up and deal with the whole Caleb thing I told you about. I really believe we will end up together, no matter what happens in between," I tell him. "I'm glad we're both alright now. Just know, the only person I will ever truly want is you," he says. I look at the ground and blush. "And from now on, this place is ours; a secret. Our place to get away from reality for a little bit," he says, smiling. "I would like that a lot," I tell him. I wish time could be frozen now. I know that when we leave, it might be awhile until we can be like this together. But for this little while, it's just me and Brennan. Somewhere only we know.