chapter six

(C) Kelcey Winn

“You need not worry about such things,” Sir Thomas Cromwell said.

    Anine was making her way through the run down corridors of Whitehall, thinking of the last time her mother had ventured down these halls. It was then she stumbled upon an unlikely conversation. In the privy chamber of stood Sir Cromwell and her eccentric mother. Anine curtseyed deeply, mumbling a feeble apology. She turned to leave, praying that neither of them would realize it was her.

“Your majesty…” Sir Cromwell began. Clearly he knew of her status and did not fear to show it. “Please come in. Your mother and I were just talking about what was happening in this court now.”

    Anine turned toward the two and re entered the privy chamber, closing the door behind her.

“How do you know of my status?” the question was strong. “I mean she must have told you, but….”

“I am one of your kind.” he said. “You may not recognize me in this current state, the human look is more my mother’s side.”

“But I can’t taste the magic coming from you,” Anine said. “Unless you are a….”

    But maraush stopped Anine from speaking the next few words that crossed her mind. She had forgotten how hurtful those words could be. It had only been a few short years since they had stopped calling her those awful names. She bit back her next few thoughts. Thomas chuckled.

“There is nothing to worry about.” Thomas said. “She can speak as freely as she wants here; she is the princess after all milady.

“I meant no harshness in my thoughts or in my words. I have never met another half breed like myself.”

“Yes… Your mother told me you were half human like me,” He saw her cringe. “Does it surprise you that there are others like you?”

“Yes,” Anine answered.

    He chuckled. “You are probably wondering what I am half of,” Said Thomas.

“Yes,” Anine said hardly breathing. This man was part magic and part human like she had grown up being. And he was also very close to the King of England.

“I would not be able to tell you, for I know not what my father is.” he stopped, remembering the past memories of his childhood. “My mother never spoke of my birth and I hardly knew my father.”

    She expelled a great long breath, “I’m sorry.”

“Do not be sad for me. I grew up human, not once worrying if they would find out that I was part fey, and secured a place of great influence.” he smiled at Anine. “But I did discover my gift.”

“Your gift?”

“My fey ability. The ability to control one’s actions. I’ve come to perfect it in these last five years.”

“Really?” She was curious.

“Really, milady,” He smiled happily at Anine. He seemed to be glad to be found in her good graces.

“Did you see or speak to the Lady Anne yet?” Thomas asked, reminding the princess of the other duties she was to do today. She saw her mother silently excuse herself.

“Not yet Lord Thomas. She commanded that I come and speak with you first.” Anine said surprised at the question he asked her. “She has done something wrong?” Anine asked, all of the sudden she felt a intense concern to make sure that Anne was alright.

“Not at all,” Thomas placed the small and worn book that he had been holding, on his desk. “That young girl…. That young girl has a sweet heart…” his voice trailed off as though there was more to be said but no respectful way to say it. “Ah!” he cried suddenly “Lady Anne.”