Chapter 22

Wolfe enters the kitchen and pauses. Long brunette hair falls down the back of someone sitting on one of the seats. Maria briefly glances up and smiles at him. Starling turns and he sees an action that he has learnt to associate with Sparrow but now he sees it is a family trait. She bites down on her lower lip and her blue eyes go downcast. "I heard noises early this morning. Do you know who it was Maria?" He asks as he takes a seat by Starling. Starling's eyes flicker to him as Maria shakes her head and shrugs.

"I believe it would have been my sister. She told me about the arrangement that you have made between yourselves. I find I must offer you my family's and my deepest appreciation and thanks." Her words are sincere and Wolfe nods in acknowledgement. "May I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"What has my sister been doing while she has been under your care?" Wolfe frowns, unsure of why Starling would need such information. "I am simply curious; Sparrow struggles if she has time with nothing to fill it with."

"I believe that she grooms and cares for my horses for an hour every morning. Then I have often seen and heard of her training beside my men. We usually meet around midday and argue for a few hours. Her afternoons are her own but I know my family does its best to keep her entertained."

"I thought you were trying to win her hand. Why are you not spending time with her?" Wolfe turns in his chair to face her. Starling meets his gaze squarely.

"My brother has informed me that your intention while you are here is to direct my affections elsewhere. Why do you care when or how much time I spend with your sister?"

"I am not a fool. Yes, I admit, my intention was to direct your affections to myself or one of my other sisters. I know Sparrow, she is headstrong and she is determined. Whether you or I like it or not she has always been against marrying from a very young age and she has used her station in life to back her decision up. I know now seeing you with her and seeing how your eyes rarely leave her presence that I could never lessen your affection for her or gain any of it for myself. I will not be a fool and try.

"You have made an arrangement with my sister that lessens the blow of no betrothal. However a betrothal, a marriage, would still be greatly advantageous for both of our lands. If anyone can change my sister's mind, it will be you. So, again I ask, why are you not spending more time with her?"

Wolfe laughs and has to steady himself on the worktop in order to stop himself slipping from his chair. "I was advised to do so."

Maria turns around from cleaning the fire place and comes over shaking the cloth in his direction. "That was a few weeks ago my boy, she had to settle in. Now your time is running out and after your written agreement you've lost those hours you usually met to negotiate." She bustles off again and Wolfe shakes his head. He could never understand the way women think. One minute they are telling him to give her space and let her come to him, the next they're confused as to why he has let so much time pass without spending it with her.

Starling giggles at his confused expression, her hands coming up to try and block the sound. How disrespectful could she be to the leader of Usani? Her governesses growing up would be pulling their hair out just as they had always done when it came to Sparrow. "I will continue to act as if I wish to win your heart, Lord Wolfe, if only on the off chance it could make Sparrow jealous. You should spend time with her; turn her respect for you into something more. And please forgive me for being so bold to advise you."

○ ○ ○

Sparrow marches up and down the ranks of Wolfe's men, her expression twisted between being overwhelmed and frustrated. Hunter stands leaning against the wooden structure, a grimace distorting his face as he watches his men fumble. Sparrow turns and sees him watching and she throws her hands up in the air. A small smile threatens to take over Hunter's lips but he manages to keep them straight with great difficulty. She strides over to him, her teeth pressing down harshly on her bottom lip, the colour draining away. Hunter raises both eyebrows as she gets closer and the blue flecks in those dark orbs of his dance. Sparrow stands at a distance from him and a smile does spring to his lips when he sees her hands placed at her hips.