Chapter 19

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

Sparrow wakes up as she does every morning but something isn't right. She lifts her head from the comfortable mattress and sees her sister's peaceful, sleeping face. Careful not to wake her, she tiptoes out of the room. Her sister most certainly would not approve of what she is about to do. The house is silent around her as she scurries down the stairs and pushes open the great heavy doors. The cold air rushes towards her and she grins. The skies are clearer now, after the storm. The ground is covered in hard slippery ice and Sparrow constantly loses her balance as she stumbles over to the stables.

She enters and blurts out a quick apology, "Sorry!" Logan spins round and chuckles loudly, whereas his Siren blushes heavily.

"It was just a kiss Sparrow." Sparrow laughs at his response and shrugs.

"You're not usually awake this early."

"I heard from Leo that you and Ra were going to battle, there was no chance I was going to leave you without a healer, either of you. I believe all of my brothers will be present. None of us wish to see you get hurt." He places his hand on her shoulder, his green eyes displaying the genuineness of his words. Siren steps up behind him and shakes her head.

"Why do you believe it will be the woman who is harmed? Ra is not invincible." Sparrow grins at Siren; she pushes past Logan and inclines her head in respect. She joins her arm with Siren's and they both pull a face at Logan.

"Just going off past experience. He has beaten her before."

"He caught me off guard, it won't happen again. I promise you." Sparrow says will all seriousness, her expression blank. Logan takes in the change of expression and the way her shoulders straighten and her feet place evenly apart. He accepts her words with a nod of his head.

"We will allow you to get ready."

He leaves with Siren by his side, expecting her to warm up and practise. She does neither. Instead she finds Shadow's grooming bucket and sets to work. He perks up when he sees her enter and she has to remind herself to remain calm and not get excited; as each time her heart speeds up in anticipation, Shadow prances on his feet and throws his head around. Calm heart, calm mind, at least until she has left his stall. She lays a calming hand on his neck and Shadow twists his neck to look at her, his large liquid eyes returning the favour.

After she's done grooming and mucking out his stall, she climbs up her ladder and changes her clothes. Her abandoned cloak seems to stare at her on the hay. An image, unwanted, drifts into her mind. Wolfe stood by her side, his bow and arrow in his hands in a thin shirt. If he can be strong and ignore the cold then so can she. A cloak would only put her at a disadvantage when fighting. She ties back her hair with a piece of string. She tugs on her boots and stands. She is ready.

She marches outside and using a dagger she stole from the training building, she digs the ice up. Under the ice is cold wet sludgy mud. With an amused smile she applies two thick streaks across her cheeks. She straightens up and jogs across to the training fields. It's the only way she can keep warm.

○ ○ ○

A large group of men and many young children gather around the wooden structure over the training grounds. Only a few men stand within. Sparrow pauses and surveys the scene. The men all laugh around the edges, shoving each other and having loud conversations. The children giggle and shoot irritated looks at their fathers and do their best to stay close to the front. They all rub their hands together and the breaths of everyone hang in the air as white fog before dissipating, only moments later to be revived. Their chatter quietens as one by one their eyes draw to Sparrow. Some nudge one another and laugh. Those are the ones who haven't seen her training before. The ones who have nod towards her and quickly make bets with those who haven't.