Chapter 1 : Sadness covered smile.

"Sidraaaaa...this is my last warning to you. Wake up already!" I was half asleep when my Ammi shouted from the kitchen. I folded my prayer mat and kept it on it's place and lazily dragged myself to the bathroom to freshen up.

That day after I had offered my fajr salah, I was deeply missing him, asking Allah SWT to grant him a place in Jannat-ul-Firdaus when tears had made their way down my cheeks. I was 10 back then. I don't remember much apart from what my Ammi had told me. It's strange that I don't know much about my own brother but yeah that's the reality. I just don't remember anything.

I feel horrible whenever I remember my brother. I feel like I failed as a sister. Whenever I'm reminded of him, tears automatically make their way down my cheeks. Thinking about my brother, I had drifted off to sleep on my jaanamaz.

"Sidra." Ammi's voice brought me back from my chain of thoughts as I saw fresh set of tears in my eyes in the mirror. I hastily wiped them and washed my face to stop the burning sensation in my eyes.

I stepped in the shower and quickly took a bath, wore my favourite purple kameez matching it with white salwar, tied my hairs into a french braid and covered my head with my dupatta.

I put on a smile on my face. Sadness covered smile.

I headed towards the kitchen where the most important part of my life, my mom is. She is a house wife, very loving and very caring person. I have never seen a person as sweet and caring as her.

"Assalamualaikum ammi, I'm sorry I slept and missed my college." I spoke, walking upto Ammi who is busy making breakfast. I smile affectionately as I peep in the dishes and inhale the aroma. I took the dishes and started setting the breakfast table.

"Walaikum assalam, not again Sidra, how many times to tell you not to read those wattpad stories till late night when you have your class to attend in the morning." My mom spoke more like scolded, serving me the breakfast and taking a seat on my left.

"I know mom but you know the story was so interesting that I lost the track of time." I spoke, munching on my toast. My mom shook her head at me and let out a sigh.

My dad appeared all dressed up and ready for office. He took a seat across from me after giving me a quick kiss on my temple and I gave him a huge smile, still munching on my toast. My mom served him his breakfast while he looked at the morning 'boring' newspaper.

"Not the newspaper again!" Ammi grumbled, when dad still was busy in the newspaper, his food untouched. I looked at them and giggled. This is an everyday thing. Abbu quickly placed back the newspaper and began with his breakfast, not wanting to piss Ammi again. She so hates when we do anything other then eating on the dining table.

Ammi gave him an annoyed sideways glance and Abbu winked at her in return which didn't go unnoticed by me luckily. She quickly looked away, a ghost of a smile playing on her lips. Aww soo adorable! My charming Abbu always makes up with mom pretty quickly.

My own face in a huge grin but I keep my face down to hide it, not wanting them to get the idea that I noticed their small moment.

I looked up when Abbu called my name, asking me the reason for not going to college and I smiled sheepishly telling him that I overslept. Hearing my reason, he chuckled and Ammi glared at him for not scolding me for doing so. He quickly straightened up after getting the silent message from Ammi's glare, looking at me in the eye.

"This is very bad Sidra. You should be responsible and not waste your time like this. Next time I won't tolerate it. I'm warning you ok!" He spoke, trying to maintain a straight face and I broke into fits of gigles. He too tried hiding his smile but started chuckling which ended up in coughs when he looked at Ammi giving him glares.

"I'll be more responsible from next time." I spoke, not wanting to piss Ammi more.

We ate in silence, apart from the small chit chat here and there.

After breakfast, Abbu said his Salam and left for work. Me and mom headed back to the kitchen and I helped her in cleaning the table.

"Ammi I was thinking to go shopping." I spoke a while later from the living room, placing the cushions on the couch.

"Nope."

Oh-kaay.

Mom is pissed.

I bit my tongue recalling the small chat on the dining table, my back facing her. I held my bottom lip in between my teeth and thought of all the drama that I can put on to convince her.

I slowly turned to her and met her narrowed eyes which are directly staring at me.

Oh-kaay

Note to self

1- Pissed off Ammi not so cool Ammi

2- When she's looking at you like this that means you are in trouble!

Oh forget it. She's way too sweet. She'll forgive me easily. I gave myself a mental high5.

I smiled at her a sweet, innocent, sugar-coated smile.

"Oh no! You are up for a drama. Again!" She spoke, shaking her head already knowing what was I up to.

How did she knew it?

Oh well yeah that's why she's my mom.

"Ammmm puh-leease." I spoke in a sing sang voice and clasping my hands together, I took dramatic steps towards her.

"Not gonna fall for your drama this time."

"Ah! Ammi please. You are my sweet Ammi." I gave her my best puppy dog eyes. She turned around, not wanting to look at my face which can definitely convince her.

"Oh-kaay I'm sorry. Please let's just go shopping. I promise I'll be more responsible next time." I spoke, circling my arms around her shoulder hugging her from behind.

"Fine." She finally gave in and agreed. I grinned triumphantly and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

Well that was pretty easy!

"Do you know that you are the bestest Ammijaan in the whole wide world?"

"And do you know that you are the biggest drama queen in the whole wide world?"

"Heyy you were supposed to say the 'bestest daughter in the whole wide world' but it's fine I soo agree to whatever you said." I raised my imaginary collar and gave her a big grin.

"All thanks to your dad."

"Aww you are allowed to take some credit as well my darling Ammijaan." I laughed and quickly ran upstairs before she could start with her 'grow-up' talk.

I opened my room door and walked in, falling on the bed on my back. I glance at the side and grumbled, sitting up back again and walking myself to my desk to finish off the remaining project.

Stupid Biology!

I busied myself in explaing to self whatever I was scribbling down on the papers in case my teacher decided to ask me any question based on the project which I don't have any single idea about.

Nope. Not gonna embarrass myself!

After what felt like an eternity, I assembled all the sheets accordingly going through them one last time. Filing it nicely with my name written in bold letters on the first page, I was done. Phew!!

By the time I was done, it was already Zuhr time so I quickly made my wudu and stood on my jaanamaz to offer my salah, thanking Allah SWT for blessing me with everything that I'm grateful for.

Placing my jaanamaz on it's place after my salah, I grinned on the thought of all the dresses that I will be buying today. Doing a happy mental dance I walked down the stairs.

Shopping, here I come!!!

~~~~~~~~

Vote🌟 Comment💬 Share (: