1️⃣

Please comment! Xxxxxxxxx

John's P.O.V

It was a late winter's evening in 1922, and I was still waiting for my wife to come home at one in the morning. I'd left Downton at midnight, after constant persisting from Anna whom said she'd be fine.
After Mr. Crawley's death, Lady Mary hasn't been the same towards her. She's been short tempered, she's been demanding, and she's changed her mind about things more times than she changes clothes during the day.
Anna's constantly exhausted throughout the day, and when she comes home she's extremely emotional because of it, and ends up sobbing her little heart out into me for an hour or so before settling down.
This night wasn't any different.
Half an hour later, at 1:30 in the morning the front door opened and closed.
I heard the soft tapping of her heels along the floor and after a few moments I heard her ascending the staircase.
She came into the room where I lay in bed reading, and gave me a smile that showed her exhaustion.
When she sat down at her vanity and placed her hand on her forehead as she yawned, I got up and gently rubbed her back to relieve some of the tension in it.
"Darling, you really need to speak to his Lordship. You can't keep on going the way you are because you'll end up ill." I told her, getting down to her level and talking softly.
"I know." Her voice was quiet and rough with exhaustion as she rubbed her eyes. "But you don't see the state she's in in the mornings. She's trashed her room because she's woken up in the night from a dream about Mr. Crawley, she has tears constantly falling, and she's not taking a single interest in Master George. I think she's in denial over what's happened."
"My baby girl," I felt terrible for her. "Is there anything I can do to help you out a little? I can put in a word with his Lordship about you halving your duties with Mrs. Hughes."
"Would you?" Her eyes lit up slightly as she looked at me. "I'd be so grateful for it."
"Of course I will." I pressed my lips gently to the soft skin of her forehead, before standing up again.
"Let's get you ready for bed, my love."
She rested back against the chair, before I gently began to slide the pins out of the shining golden knot at the base of her neck.
How her hair always stayed so beautiful throughout the day was always a mystery to me.
Once all of the pins were out and back in their small box, I ran my fingers gently through her tresses as I removed the small tangles.
This earned me a soft sigh of contentment from her, and I smiled through the mirror as I saw her relaxing a little.
Once her hair was smooth and softer than it was before, I began to gently knot it into her overnight braid, tying a small ribbon at the bottom of it to keep it in place.
Then I took her hand and helped her to her feet so I could help her undress.
However, before I could start, she cuddled against me.
"Thank you for always being so patient with me." She murmured into my nightshirt as I let my hand gently caress up and down her back. "I love you, so much."
"I love you too, sweetheart." I promised her, nuzzling into her hair.
When our embrace broke, she turned around so that I could undo the buttons that led down her spine.
When they were open, I slipped the fabric from her arms and let her dress fall in a heap on the floor.
She stepped out of it, and I placed it neatly on the chair next to her vanity before letting my hands rest on the sides of her corset.
She always seemed to hiss softly when I did so, a sign of pain from the clothing forcing her sides inwards.
"You're going to break your ribs if you keep wearing this." I told her, kissing the base of her neck gently.
She moaned softly, her head falling back against my shoulder.
Another reason I'm thankful for her sleepiness. She's much easier to give pleasure to.
"There's nothing I can do about it." She winced.
"Let's get it off." I whispered softly.
I began to untie the ribbons that held the corset tightly to her body. Each time one was undone, she rewarded me with a small groan of contentment.
Once I had untied all of the ribbons I removed it from her body and let it join her dress, before taking her over to the bed and sitting her down on it.
She ended up letting herself lay down on the mattress as I removed her heels, tucking them neatly under the bed once the buckles were undone.
After that, I removed her stockings and gently kissed the top of each foot, making my way slowly up her leg to her knee before slipping her nightgown over her head once she was sat back up.
Then she got under the covers and lay down with a sigh as her head sank into the pillow.
"Night, beautiful." I kissed her cheek gently before getting in next to her.
The oil lamp was then turned down, and I cuddled against her back as I spooned her.
Then I slowly began to drift off with the woman whom I loved more than anything, finally sleeping peacefully in my arms.