17 | Slow Dancing at Speedy's

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, yeah I do." Ryan replied more firmly.

"You're sure?" Evan asked, gazing at Ryan doubtfully. "I know you've had a thing for her... but it's a lot different to say, 'love,' you know. Especially to Emmy, I'm not even sure she believes in the concept."

"I'm finding that out." Ryan answered grimly. "She's so damned bullheaded! But I am sure of my feelings." He smiled, remembering how she'd felt curled up next to him under the stars the night before, until all hell broke loose. She was opening up to him, albeit painfully slowly. A confident smirk lifted his lips. "I can be stubborn, too, though. She just needs some convincing."

"Stop right there—I don't need details," Evan grumbled. "I don't have a problem with you going after her, as long as you're sure of your feelings," he went into serious, big-brother mode, "she's been hurt too much for you not to be."

"I know," Ryan replied, heeding the implied warning. "I am sure though. Just need to make her see it," he muttered, more to himself than to Evan.

"You've got your work cut out for you, that's for sure." Evan took another swig of his beer, and then asked, "So what are we going to do about this thing with my mom and your dad?"

Ryan's eyes drifted to where Emma and Rosie were still chatting and drinking. He gulped down the rest of his beer, and set it down, before meeting his eyes.

"I don't know. I mean, I knew they were together when we were kids, but now... What could he want? And how would he hook up with your mom again? He's been gone for ages."

"Yeah," Evan replied. "It doesn't make any sense. I'd ask my mom, but I doubt she'd tell me anything. I caught them together when I was a kid, and even then, she denied it."

"I saw them together, too," Ryan confided, "more than once, actually. I just can't figure out how this is all connected now. It must have been my dad who broke in, especially because I saw him at the shop. But that still doesn't answer why. And what about telling Emma? I hate lying to her."

"I'm not sure it's such a good idea to tell Emma," Evan said, cautiously, "she'll go ballistic. Besides, we still don't know why my mom came to see yours today. If there isn't a connection, it will just set her off for no reason."

"I guess," Ryan replied, uncertainly. "I think it is way too much of a coincidence for my dad to suddenly show up, and then for Julie to be at the hospital today, too, though. Our mothers hate each other. My dad is the only thing they have in common."

"Probably." Evan agreed. "She wants something of my Grandma's or my dad's. If your dad was after the safe, it could be the same thing." He shrugged, and waved for another round of beers.

"I agree, but I still don't like not telling Emma."

"Trust me," Evan replied, "it's better if we don't give her a reason to look for trouble. If it ends up being nothing, we'll just be starting World War III between her and my mom for nothing."

"I guess so," Ryan agreed, reluctantly. "I want to get the safe out of the house before the cops take back the police detail," he continued, watching Rosie pour their beers behind the bar. "If they want it, there has to be something inside, I don't want anyone else to get hurt, and I want to find out what's inside before they do." He looked like he might say something else, but snapped his mouth shut, instead.

"Em and I are going up to the cabin, let's take it up there." Evan suggested. "You should come, too. It would be good for all of us to get away for a couple days. Besides, you can work on Emma some more. She's always more relaxed up there." He grinned.

"Okay, Yenta." Ryan chuckled. "I'll get my Ma settled at home with hospice before I decide whether or not to go, but you should definitely take the safe either way."

UntetheredOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara