Chapter 6

[Nathan]

“What the hell are you doing?” she asked. She said it in a slow, calm way. It was actually frightening.

“Nothing,” I said sitting up. I had to think of something, fast. “I knew you would wake up. It was all part of my plan.” It came out before I could think about what I was saying. Truthfully, I forgot about my plan to make her fall for me.

“What plan? Matter of fact, what are you doing in my room?” she asked.

“You don’t need to know the answer to either of those questions,” I said smiling. Yeah, that’s right. Play it cool, Nathan. Her mother walked in at that moment and noticed the tension in the air.

“Oh, you’re awake. I made dinner, are you hungry?” she asked Camille. “You can stay for dinner if you like, Nathan.”

“No way is he staying,” Camille said. Her mother raised an eyebrow. Hm, I wonder if she also did that hand twitch when she was angry.

“If I don’t recall, I am the mother and I get to say who stays or not. Now you two wash up and come down to eat,” she said. I haven’t even agreed to stay for dinner, but, seeing Camille's face, I was definitely staying.  She stood up angrily and made her way out of the room, but I stopped her before she could.

“You know, you’re pretty cute when you’re sleeping,” I said putting my face close to hers. I saw her blush and smiled. I walked out of the room, letting out my breath.

I was glad I kept my cool, even though I was really nervous.

**

[Camille]

What was that all about? He was acting suspicious.

I glared at Nathan across the table as I forked lasagna in my mouth. What was his “plan” exactly? The phone rang and mom hurried to answer it. His eyes fell on me and, when he saw me watching him, he winked at me. I turned away and focused my attention on mom.

She was holding the phone tightly as she spoke with someone in a hushed tone. It looked as if she was arguing with them. We all turned toward the front door opening, and my dad walked in.

Mom hurriedly hung up the phone as he walked into the dining room.

“Well, well. We have a guest. And who might you be?” he asked eyeing Nathan.

“Nice to meet you, sir. I’m Nathan Mathers,” he said shaking my dad’s hand. This somehow felt like he was my boyfriend meeting my dad for the first time. Weird. Seems like my dad was thinking the same thing as he put his dad face on.

He looked at my mom for an explanation.

“He’s a friend from school who gave her a ride home,” she said.

“Ah, good. Very nice to meet you. Now, if you would excuse me, I need to get out of these clothes,” he said going upstairs. Mom followed him, leaving me and Nathan alone.

We ate in silence. I peeked at Nathan, who was staring at a picture of our family’s portrait. That’s when the arguing started.

They’ve been arguing more and more lately. I didn’t know why, though, but I did know that mom was really pissed at something dad did.

I pretended not to hear it as I kept eating, even though I already lost my appetite. Finally, I put my fork down.

“You can leave if you want. They’re going to be at it for a while,” I told him. When he looked at me, I saw pity. “Don’t pity me. I hate that.”

“I’m not pitying you. I know how it feels to have to listen to your parents argue,” he said and I heard no lies in his words.

“Can we go somewhere, anywhere else but here?” I asked. I didn’t expect him to agree. I was actually expecting him to tell me no and to piss off. But he actually said yes.