Chapter Three: King Lear

{Alice}

I slowly walk to English as it is the last period of the day. I wonder whom I should sit by. Zoe and Daniel both have World history for their last period so no luck there.
"Hey Alice."
I turn around and Casper White is walking to me. I smile but on the instead I go into panic mode. Casper and I are friends and have been for a long time but I really like him more than a friend and I promised Zoe I'd tell him this year so, in her words, I'll have the best senior year.
He catches up with me. "Hey girly. How was your summer?"
"It was long and sad but I'm better."
"Shoot. I totally forgot. I'm so sorry." He hugs me. Of course I hug back. He's the freaking quarter back and my VP.
"Its fine."
"So do you have English here?"
"Yea."
"Sweet, me too. Let's sit..."
"Excuse me." Said the guy earlier in all black. I watched him go in and he looked at me. Not the way people usually with respect and pity. No, he looked at me with annoyance.
"Hey. Earth to Alice."
"Sorry Cas. I'd love to sit next to you."
"Lead the way then m'lady."
I laugh as we sit next to each other. I sat a seat between my and the guy. Cas was pretty much talking about his summer until the bell rang but if you asked me what he said, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I was to focused on his dreamy blue eyes. So was the girls around us. I glanced once once to the boy in black and he was watching outside at something. I turned back to Cas.
"And that's when my brother finally jumped off and hit my dad when he got there." He laughed and so did the girls. He's so cute.
"That is enough Mr. White. Hello class. My name is Mrs. Anderson and I am your English three teacher this year and..."
"And boring." Phil Howell said and he and this girl, named Lilly Oakley, laughed so hard it looked like they were going to fall out of their chairs.
"Mr. Howell. What year was King Lear written?"
"Why should I care?"
"King Lear is a tragedy written by William Shakespeare in the year of 1606. It depicts the gradual descent into madness of the title character, after he disposes of his kingdom giving bequests to two of his three daughters based on their flattery of him, bringing tragic consequences for all."
"So?"
"May King Lear's life bring lesson to you."
"You think I'm a king?"
"I think you could be."
Phil goes quiet. Lilly just rolls her eyes and put in her ear phones.
"Okay class we have a new student this year. His name is Max. Why don't you come and introduce yourself Max?"

He walks up to the front and looks at me. "Hello. My name is max and my favorite color is white."
The class laughs at him as he sits back at his seat.
"Why?" Mrs. Anderson asks.
"Because it is the color of purity, something I believe no can be. Truly pure."
"Okay. Thank you."
Lilly asks him something that I couldn't hear and he just shakes his head and looks out the window.
"Now, before the bell rings, I would like to tell you what you'll be doing this semester. You and a partner will be presenting your ideas on Shakespeare. Tell more than what he did. Tell me your thoughts on one work of his. I will pick partners tomorrow. Have a good day."
The bell rings as if on cue.
"See ya at the assembly?" Cas asks.
"Since you and I host it, a it would bee pretty rude to not show up."
"True."
I watch Max walk out with Lilly and Phil. Not the group he'd want to be in.
"Come on Alice!" Cas tells at me.
"I'll catch up with you there."
"Suit yourself."
Why was he watching me when he said white was his favorite color?

I believe no can be truly pure

What does that mean?
I walk really slowly to the stadium, focused but confused.