Chapter One: Othello

{Alice}

Monday, August 13.

'So, today is the first day of school! I'm so happy. This year will be nothing like last year when it happened. I'll learn lots and, hopefully, Casper will finally ask me out like he has been trying. Man , I talk a lot in my head.'

I say all in my head while walking into school. It's been a few months since the accident with mom. Sure, I'm still touchy on the subject, but mom always said not to have the past hold me back. I'm cheer captain and student body pres. I got this.
When I got to my locker, my bestie Zoe basically tackled me, screaming "ALICE SAVE ME FROM THE HELL!!!" Zoe really hates when one of my other friends, Daniel, holds a makeup product hostage from her.
As I get up, I ask her "Who did he take now?"
"He took Lizzy." Zoe named her makeup products. Lizzy is her plum lipstick."Save Lizzy for me Alice! Please!!"
Not far from us, I see Daniel laughing really hard. I giggle a little and walk up to him, leaving Zoe pouting more than a little kid who lost their toy truck.
"You know the school doesn't allow bullies." I say to Daniel.
"Maybe, but it was more her bullying me with words of fashion and how I need to get with the trend."
I take it away from him and smile. "A little fashion can't kill."
Daniel and Zoe have been at this for ages. Flirting all the time, that is. One time, Zoe got stood up badly by a guy and not only did Daniel beat up his ass, he personally went to the girl whom the guy ditched Zoe for and ripped her clothes while she was on vacation. Zoe loved it but truthfully speaking, it freaked the hell out of me.
I give back Lizzy to Zoe and she hugs me. "Thank you and I'm sorry you had to see me like that. I must have looked like a monster."
"Nah. A least you're back."
"I didn't know a trip to London would take half of the summer."
"Yea. Well next time you'll take us." I point to me and Daniel as he tries to look as cute as he can.
"Well I'll take you."
"Hey, I wanna go too!"
I laugh as they fight. No matter what happens, Daniel would never hurt Zoe. Zoe though comes from a very rich family, unlike me and Daniel. She does take on trips on times and they are awesome but that isn't why we are friends with her. In fact it took us three years to find out she is rich. Zoe is cool, even if she's rich.
"Anyway, what is your first class?" She asks us.
"I have homeroom in 408."
"So do I."
"And I have home room in...."
At that point, I turned them out. Right over Zoe's shoulder, I saw a boy dressed in all black with red hair. I don't know why he caught my attention but he did. He was different from these people. I just knew it.
"Alice who are you...whoa" Zoe said.
"Daniel who is he?" I ask.
"His name is Max Dallas. This is his first year here. He lives just down the street form me." Daniel knows everyone.
"And why the black? Does not suit his hair." Zoe asked.
"Something happened with his parents recently. He now lives with his aunt."
I look away from him.
'Max, I understand.'
"Take a photo. It'll last longer!" Max yells at our peers.
"Rude." Zoe says.
"No. Normal for his condition."
"Whatever, let's go to class Alice."
"Okay. Goodbye Daniel."
"See ya ladies."
We walk slowly to class.