"Yes. I was ready to die for you when Derek took you."

Allison looked at him again. "I'm sorry. For running off that night. If I hadn't, none of this would have happened."

"It's okay. I would have done the same thing. I'm the one who should apologize."

Tears filled Allison's eyes suddenly. She waved him away and sucked in a deep breath to calm herself. "We can talk about it later. When we have Stiles and we're home and we're safe."

Scott nodded and grabbed a stake from the box. "Let's do this."

FEBRUARY 20, 2016
SATURDAY
11:30 P.M.

Scott's feet hurt with every single step. He wanted to throw himself down onto the ground and just sleep. By now, even the cold, hard cement ground looked comfortable. The air was humid but still slightly cool, though the humidity still overwhelmed them. They were both soaking with sweat, struggling to breathe. Allison's hair had fallen almost all the way out of her bun, covering her face in a tangled, sweaty mess of brown curls.

"How much longer?" Scott gasped.

"Not long. Maybe an hour," Allison gasped back.

Scott groaned. "An hour? You said that an hour ago! Your sense of time is so off, have I ever told you that?"

"Yes, several times. Most of them tonight."

Scott looked around at the deserted one-lane road, surrounded on either side by dense woods. "Was it a good idea for us to come alone?"

"Stiles won't like that we came anyway. If we'd brought others, like John, he would be furious. Besides, if anyone has to die, I'd rather it be us, Derek and Laura. Not our families. Not innocent people that have nothing to do with this."

"Do you think we're going to make it through this?"

Allison frowned for a second. Then, "Yes."

"You hesitated. Why would you hesitate? That was supposed to be the opening for a pep talk, which, by the way, I could really use right now and I would give you one except you look really sure of yourself and--"

Allison stopped, grabbing Scott by the arms and stopping him too. She looked him straight in the eyes. "Scott! We're going to be okay. We will make it through this."

Despite her hard gaze, which he assumed was meant to be convincing, she sounded like she was trying to convince both of them, not just him.

"You don't sound so sure," Scott said.

Allison released him. "I have to be. The moment I let myself think otherwise, it's all over."

Scott blinked. "When did you get so strong and badass?"

"I've always been that way. I just always thought you were too in love with me to notice." Allison's face softened. She removed her hair the rest of the way from the bun and shook her head wildly, then pushed her hair back away from her face, tucking it behind her ears.

"I was. In love with you. I hope you don't think that I wasn't, or that I didn't love you because I did, I do. It's just complicated."

"I know." Allison looked down the road ahead of them, her jaw tightening. She met his gaze again. "Do you love Stiles? Are you in love with him?" Her chin started to tremble. She hardened her face. It stopped.

Scott almost lied. Almost. "I do. I am."

Allison continued walking abruptly. "Come on. We better hurry."