"It's in a box under my bed." I check under the bed and it's there. I only give the rose a quick glance before shoving it into my purse. It's crazy that The Beast is causing this whole scene over a flower. There has to be something more to it. Why is it so valuable to him? How could it be worth my mother's life? Unless, this is all just a sick game he plays from fun.

"Okay. I got it." I hear yelling in the background and my mom sobs. My chest tightens.

"Alright then. I'll see you soon?" Her voice cracks and I feel tears spilling down my own cheeks. It's always terrible to hear my mother cry.

"Yes, you will see me soon." It's a promise I will keep. The phone hangs up leaving the lonely beeping sound to play over and over. I walk into the living room knowing what needs to be done. I will get my mom home at any cost.

I catch Grayson as he hangs up his phone, ending the call with the police. "Is everything okay?" His eyes search mine once again with deep concern. He's gonna hate me for doing this.

"Yea. It was nothing," I say making my ways toward the diary. I then pick it up and run into my mother's room in one quick movement.

"What are you doing?" Grayson asks while trying to follow me. I slam the door in his face and lock it, wincing at my own actions. "Belle?"

I open the window and climb onto the fire escape. It's rusted so bad that the color is a reddish brown and I'm well aware that it can give away at any moment.

The fall breeze makes me shiver but I'm not going back in for a sweater. The checkered flannel will have to be enough.

Grayson's shouts fade as I run down the ladder like steps to the first floor, almost falling to my death several times. I reach the ground and stumble to Pedro. By that time, Grayson's head is sticking out the window. "Belle, where are you going?!"

"I'm sorry but I have to take care of this on my own." For most of my life Grayson has been there for me. He's always had my back. He was there for me when my mom caused problems and when the kids at school got hard to handle. We've blown people's minds together. I mean, how does the hated nerd become best friends with the popular and adored jock? But this, this is my mom and I.

"Belle! Your mom is not worth this much trouble!" he pleads. Grayson had always put me on some high pedestal and I know it's his love for me that does that.

"That's where you're wrong!" I shout back. Everyone is worth this much trouble. Everyone has something beautiful in them that is worth fighting for, even my mother. She wasn't always like this and I know the old her is still in there somewhere.

The whole ride there I'm praying my mom is okay and everything will go well. It seems unlikely that The Beast will just let her off the hook like that. Especially since we know his address.

Wait. He wouldn't.

I slam my foot on the brakes only across the street from Castle Road. What am I doing? Once I give him the rose he'll kill both of us.

But if I let the police handle it my mom will die.

What choice do I have?

My phone rings in my pocket. It's Grayson and I answer gratefully. "Hey, I think I made a mis-" There's a smashing sound and then the windshield is shattering into pieces. I drop my phone and it falls below the seat as I shield my face.

"Belle? What's going on?!" Grayson sounds helpless on the phone and if there is one thing Grayson doesn't like it's feeling helpless.

I choke on a gasp as I realize The Beast shattered the window.