PART I

PART I : MY VERY OWN SUNSET

LIBBY’S POV:

I swiped at my tears frantically, thinking I was too old for this. The hurt, the cheating, the drinking, the gambling...all of it, I was just too sick of it.

When the sound of sniffs caught my attention, I forced myself to concentrate on the now. And now, my children needed me. They needed her strong, not weak just because their grandfather had had one of his many drunken episodes and had kicked them out. Again.

 But no matter how much my mother begged me, I wouldn’t take my children or even let myself near that old bitter man again. It beat all logic but my mother always sided with him, excusing him and laying the blame all on herself. It didn’t matter if he insulted me, threw glass at me or even hit me. Hell, it didn’t matter when he even hit her. She still took his side.

But no, I told myself. My two adorable children deserved more than that. Just thinking about them brought a smile on my face and now, even at my worst moment, that wasn’t an exception. My angels, as I often thought of them. My twin babies, Angela and Raven, were my light at my darkest moments.

Even though their father had abandoned me three years ago I told him I was pregnant after our three week relationship and after, when my father had almost killed me when he went crazy at the news and had emotionally killed me when he turned to his drinking to escape looking me in the eye and realizing how much I had let him down, they still were my light at the end of the day after waitressing at the greasy fast food restaurant I worked for.

As much as I tried to forget and focus on my babies, I still couldn’t get over Tyler’s rejection. I had been a shy seventeen old who hadn’t even kissed a guy before him. Why, you may ask? Well, because even though I was from the West, which is filled with more hormone-crazed teens than most people would ever believe, no boy wanted me. As most of them delicately put it, I was nothing more than, and I quote, “a fat cow”.

But Ty didn’t see me like that, or so I had thought at the time. He had breezed into our small, nowhere town in his Cadillac and swept me off my feet after that first glance. I could still remember the day that we met. I had been working all day at the Dairy Treats waitressing to make money to help out at home. Dad, who was a construction worker, had been out of a job for some time and so I had decided to pitch in. My parents had thought it was commendable at the time and so had I until the taunts had begun.

Unknown to me at the beginning of my employment, all workers had to wear these embarrassing cow costumes, complete with an even more shaming hat that had cow tits. At first I hadn’t seen a problem with this, but due to my larger-than-normal body size, the costume had just increased the “fat cow” teasing. Thinking back, it had probably given validity to the taunts.

So there I was, sloppy and dripping of yoghurt after some hilarious girls had decided to pour their milkshakes at the fat waitress when in walks...well, perfection. He was dressed in all black, cliché right? But unlike on most boys it suited him. In black jeans and a black wife beater that looked like it had cost him, right to his obviously designer sneakers all I could think was Yum!

So again, there I was staring at him with the mean female customers when he walks over to me, only that I had thought that he had been walking to them. So imagine my surprise when he plucked napkins from their table and had handed it to me helping me up from the floor, where the cups had propelled me to. As the bimbos watched in open-mouthed silence, he helped me wipe off the mess and, throwing away the soiled napkins, tucked my arm into his and, speaking in an enticing Eastern accent, asked ”How bout we do coffee instead?” in a half-joking manner. Still stunned, I dumbly nodded and he led me out. And I never looked back.

That is, I never looked back until three weeks later when I realized I had a bun in the oven. Or rather two buns, as I would later discover.

We both should have expected it. Our first time, I had been to dewy-eyed and he had been too lust-eyed to pay attention to minor details like condoms. The rest of the times we had been careful but we had paid little, if any, mind to the first mishap. In the end, he told me he hadn’t planned for this and he...couldn’t cope. Yah, so there I was, on that appropriately gloomy and rainy day ,having poured my heart out to him and there he was, my knight in shining armour, floundering for words, trying to find the best way to let me down easy. After telling me those memorable words that he couldn’t do it, he got into his flashy car that had whisked us off to many magical dates and drove off into the sunset, just minus the princess. So should have seen that coming.

Shaking off my dreary thoughts, I focused on the peaceful snores of my two kids as I drove down the interstate. I had had enough and, after finally finishing my course in business administration, I was determined to make a name and living for myself and my children, minus their abusive grandfather, delusional grandmother and certainly their absentee father. It was time to ride off into my own sunset.

SO THIS IS PRACTICALLY THE RESULT OF LISTENING TO SAPPY SONGS, BUT IT JUST CAME TO ME. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AND DON’ FORGET TO

VOTE

FAN

AND  COMMENT !

*IF U WANNA*