The Red Queen

“And you’re sure?” Daliah scrutinized the son she hadn’t seen in over a year, searching for any sign of a lie. He looked much the same as the day he’d been banished from her castle, but decidedly more confident. His unusual height that had once looked awkward was now quite impressive. This was a son she could be proud of, if only he hadn’t returned with such abysmal news.
    “Yes, Mother.” Nathanial’s head remained bowed as he rested on one knee in front of her. “I’ve been tracking the girl for some time. She was wary, but seems confident that Alice is on her way.”
    “That’s not possible,” the Red Queen spat, though she could no longer ignore the signs. Daliah had long thought her son a fool for spending time filling his head with knowledge and lore when he was such a proficient warrior. She’d dismissed his books of prophecy as being full of lies and pandering, but she couldn’t ignore them any longer. He had come to her, evidence in hand, ready to prove every point he’d ever struggled to make.
    Nathanial lifted his head. “We’re at a precipice, Mother. And we’re prepared. The last time a girl named Alice slipped into our world, she ushered in a time of change and growth for Wonderland—”
    “Yes, and who paid the price for that change?” she demanded, cutting off what was sure to be a lackluster speech. “We did! Queen Patrice’s rule crumbled after Alice fled back to her home. Do you want to see that happen to me?”
    “Of course not.” Nathanial shook his head once more.
    “Stand up, you idiot. There’s no time for this nonsense now. We need a plan, damnit!” Daliah’s long, red fingernails dug into her palm as she formed a tight fist in her lap. “Can we stop it from happening? Prevent Alice from making it through to our world?”
    “A psychic storm is raging over Neverwood. I suspect it may already be too late for that.” He paused to wipe sweat from his brow, and Daliah felt the comforting presence of triumph. He may have returned victorious, but both mother and son knew who ruled. “She’s coming.”
    “Then bring me her head!” Daliah roared. Nathanial blanched and took a step backwards. His lips pressed into a tight line as his Queen struggled to control her temper. “What is it?” she snapped.
    “What if—Alice doesn’t have to mean the end of our house…I think we could work this to our advantage.”
    “I’m listening,” she said, giving her son the one thing he’d always wanted. “What do you suggest?”
    “Find her, bring her here. Push her in the direction you want her to go. I can’t begin to guess at more without meeting the girl, but she could be your greatest tool.”
    “And if you’re wrong?” Slowly, the Red Queen stood from her throne of glass. “Everything I’ve been working for is within reach, Nathanial. Our cities push farther into the forest every day, the new White Queen is as pliable as the last, and the tribes in the South are falling to my armies. I will not be undone by one girl.”
    Nathanial’s handsome face took on a bleak grimace. “Then I will take care of her.” Daliah heard his knuckles crack as he too balled his hands into fists. “Personally.”