Chapter 20: Day and Night

Start from the beginning

_______________________

      “Flight Number: CA180, Manila to Madrid,now boarding.”

     Venice woke up from being dazed and breathed in heavily as she started to rise from her seat once the announcement has been made. She tried to convince herself that what she was doing was right.

     Heath will not run after her.

     Naisip niya na pagdating niya sa Barcelona agad siyang iinom ng isang malaking baso ng gatas. She also needed to call back to apologize to Hezekiah… so she concluded that after all this she might just need to drink a whole barrel of warm milk.

     Sumasakit ang dibdib niya kasabay ng bawat hakbang niya patungo sa counter. This is the right thing to do, she told herself again while standing on cue.  Sinuntok ni Venice ng marahan ang bandang dibdib niya para mawala ng paninikip noon.

     She prayed that 16 hours would pass by fast… She needed 16 hours in order to establish separation such as distance, away from her son and Heath.

     Pagkatapos ng labing-anim na oras malayo na siya.

     Pagkatapos ng labing-anim na oras hindi na niya abot kamay si Heath.

     Yes, her decision was really the right thing to do.

     Venice smiled at the flight attendant in front of her.

      “Ma’am, may I take a look at your boarding pass, please.”

     She politely handed over her pass and though she knew Heath wouldn’t possibly be standing behind she permitted herself to dream.

     She glanced for the last time behind her.

_______________________________

      “Tita, sa tingin ko ikamamatay ko katigasan ng ulo ng anak niyo.”

     Heath exasperatedly tried to look calm despite his raging emotions.

     Mabilis na inubos niya ang iniinom niya. He tried to use a different tactic last night with her. He pushed her away, even giving her air fare, with high hopes that she’ll wake up from her chivalrous act and decide to stay and be happy. Reverse psychology ika nga. Pero tumawag ang mga kasambahay niya kanina na umalis na daw ng bahay si Venice kanina kasama ang maleta nito.

     Hinila ni Hezekiah ang bracelet pass niya at niyaya siya nitong kumain ng pizza. Nasa cafeteria sila ng Enchanted noon at kumakain. Binalingan niya ng atensyon ang walang kamuwang-muwang na bata. Heath’s goal was to enjoy this day with his son. At least for today he’ll be happy so he planned their little rendezvous in the theme park. Pag-uwi nila mamaya siguradong iiyak ito dahil hindi na nito makikita si Venice.