Chapter 20: Day and Night

En başından başla

     Heath sat unmoving in front of her as she dropped the bomb uncaringly. At that moment he might think that only thing that separated them was the dining table but Heath should know better. The thing in between them was more than a piece of wood... it  was death.

     He was expressionless as a stone so when he finally spoke she almost jumped out of her seat.

      “I’m dying also.”

     Kunot-noong tinignan niya ito.

      “You seem to forget that all people die Venice. Malay mo mauna pa pala ako sayo kahit wala naman akong sakit? So what’s the big fuss about your death?”

     Heath shifted from his seat and leaned forward.

      “Let me get this straight. Correct me if I’m wrong. So were you planning on leaving because you’re dying? Ah… maybe because you don’t want to hurt us? So do I have to pity you? Just like those scenes from movies and written on books?” Heath grinned at her. “You know I don’t buy any of that bvllshit Ven.”

     Tumayo si Heath at walang anuman na ibinulsa nito ang kamay sa tagiliran nito at masusi siyang tinignan ng mapagtantong tama ang konklusyon nito.

      “You and your crappy indecisiveness to be happy, I really hate it. Hindi ikaw ang Venice na minahal ko. The woman that I loved would fight this with me since she’s really stubborn as hell. She’d persistently stick by my side and hold onto me annoyingly just like the way I’ve done for her for the past 6 years.”

Inangat ni Heath ang kamay papunta sa direksyon ni Venice. He reached for her.

“I’m only within your arms reach Venice… You just have to grab hold of me.” He looked at her seriously as he searched for the Venice that he once knew inside the woman who sat within his arms reach. Venice didn’t budge from her seat. She just ignored the hand he was offering and when she did he withdrew his hand silently. “Ven… How much more do I have to love you for you to know my heart?”  

     Heath stood up from his chair as she continued to be rendered speechless. Tinungga ni Heath ang gatas nito at walang anuman na inubos iyon, na animo umiinom ito ng alak. Heath licked the streak of milk from his lips.

      “Bukas pupunta kami ni Hezekiah sa Enchanted Kingdom. Yung maleta mo alam mo na kung nasaan diba? Nilagay ko na din doon yung passport mo, tsaka pera kung kailangan mo ng pambili ng ticket kung plano mong umalis bukas habang wala kami. Huwag kang mag-alala, hindi kita hahabulin o pipigilan.”

     Tumalikod si Heath pero agad ding humarap na parang naalala nito ang nakalimutang sabihin. Tinuro ni Heath ang baso niya ng gatas at sumenyas ito sa kanya na inumin niya iyon. “A glass of milk is really good for a broken heart.”