The RiverClan deputy, at least in this world, charged at Pebblescar. The dark gray tom easily sidestepped the attack and sprung into the air, claws extended. The rogue tom felt every fold of muscles in Reedstorm's body as his claws sliced into his flank. Pebblescar stretched his muzzle, jaw hanging open.

Reedstorm tried to roll over, but the dark gray tom was able to jump off this time. Now, with a new target, Pebblescar leaped upon the cat who stole his position as deputy, his amazing mate, and now Minnowfrost's kits—the ones that were supposed to be his. His claws sunk into Reedstorm's belly; blood pooled underneath him as Pebblescar slit his claws across the thief's body one thousand times.

His vision blurred as he made another deep cut, listening to the agonized wail that escaped the other tom's muzzle. That's not. . . that can't be his. He's dead. Pebblescar turned around to see Minnowfrost, her belly plump with the unborn kits of the cat who laid, dead, at his paws.

"You killed him!" she shouted, mew filled with disgust and hate. "You killed the father of my kits." She flexed her claws. "I will kill you, Pebblescar. I fought to save my leader when I was going to have kits, and I will fight you now." 

But that wasn't an option.

She loves me.

Pebblescar turned around, his paws soaked in blood, and stumbled into the forest.

~

Pebblescar opened his eyes to a beam of sunlight nearly blinding him. Surprised, he attempted to move upward, but his progress was halted by a splitting pain that set his pelt on fire.

"StarClan's kits, what's wrong!" he spat, dropping back into the nest. Hailtail stirred in her nest, eyes opening blearily. Pebblescar looked over his shoulder with disgust to see that the wound had ripped open, dripping red and with the cobwebs stamped into the ground. It's like my fight with Reedstorm is coming true here. . ."That couldn't have been an accident or something." He observed his wound again, a bitter taste rising in the back of his throat.

Hailtail stood up, stretching out her legs. "What's wrong?" she asked in a slow voice, padding over. Her eyes widened with shock when she noticed his gaping wound. "Well, that got worse. . . I think someone took off the poultice." She sniffed his back, observing the injury with sleep-infected eyes. "I suppose I should go make a new one. Don't move until I get you cobweb-ed up!" She tried to force cheeriness into her tone.

"I'm fine," dismissed Pebblescar. "Just go back to sleep. . . I can wait in this awkward, uncomfortable position for a few heartbeats while you close your eyes and do whatever it is that you medicine cats do when you sleep."

Hailtail looked skeptical. "You're going to roll over, get dirt in the wound, and infect yourself." She let a small sigh escape her muzzle. "I'm getting the horsetail and the marigold. . . " She trailed off, padding back into the herb stores.

After getting treated and trying to fall asleep, Pebblescar finally hauled himself out of his nest. He limped into the clearing, pain exploding up his leg on every step. He collapsed in a corner of camp, closing his eyes for a second as the hurt faded away from his limbs. The soft chatter of the camp slowly grew from a few cats to a whole crowd of them, clustered around Reedstorm.

"What are they doing?" he spat, anger broiling in his belly. "I'm the deputy!" 

Troutstar heard the tom's anger and quickly padded over to him. "You are still the deputy of RiverClan," he assured. "I just wanted you to take some time off to rest and heal. You are a very busy cat, you know." He cast a sideways look into the crowd; Pebblescar followed his gaze to see Minnowfrost, her blue eyes wide and tail curled around her paws. "I'll leave you to yourself." Shaking his head slightly, the tom padded into the crowd to help Reedstorm organize everything.

"Hello?" Minnowfrost meowed, jogging over to him. "How are you feeling?" Concern haunted her irises as she leaned forward with apprehension, eager to hear a response.

"I'm—I'm fine," he stuttered back, twisting his head and giving his shoulder a few licks. 

Minnowfrost nodded. "I'm glad you're back," she meowed. The she-cat reached forward, the tip of her muzzle brushing against his ear. A purr rumbled in the back of her throat; Pebblescar soon joined her in the relaxing sound.

"So. . ." Pebblescar found his mind blank as he stared into her eyes.

Her entire stature changed after one word escaped his muzzle. "I kind of have something to t—tell you," Minnowfrost meowed quietly, glancing over his shoulder. The dark gray tom nodded, his heart threatening to pound of his chest as his mind started racing.

"You can tell me anything," Pebblescar purred.

"I'm expecting your kits."

~

This one-day-late chapter was brought to you by Rio. Sorry that you guys don't get to have Lightning again; I know you love her ridiculously long chapters! <3