Chapter 9

A few weeks later...

"Maritza! Wake your ass up. We have a big day a head of us. Its Mother's Day!" Gloria says as she sits on me and jumps up and down.

"Get--off--of--me-" I stutter out as she continues to jump on me. I grab the blanket and cover my face with it.

"Don't you want to see your daughter?! It's been awhile since you've seen her." Gloria responded and she got off of me and say at the edge of the bed while I sat up at the head of it.

"I know its Mother's Day and of course I want to see my baby girl. I'm just tired. I couldn't sleep last night, because all I was thinking about was seeing her."

"Awe mija. I bet she felt the same way. So, is your mom going to bring her or your sister?"

"There both coming. Are all your kids coming?" I ask her as I get up and grab my things to get ready. I don't want my baby girl to see me with bags under my eyes.

"Yeah. I'm happy, it's been too long since I've seen all my kids at once." She replies as she gets up. "I should get going. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be done before it's visiting time, so don't take long getting ready. I know how you are." Gloria says as she turns to leave.

"Gloria wait! I say as I peak my head out from mine and flaca's bunk. "Where's flaca?"

"Oh, she's helping setting up the games and stuff for the kids out in the yard. Speaking of flaca, does she have kids?"

"No not that I know of." I reply.

"Does she know you have a daughter?"

"Huh." I say as I recall if I ever spoke about my daughter with her. "No."

"You guys are like best friends and she doesn't know that you have a daughter? How come you never told her?"

"We are still getting to know each other, and it never crossed my mind to tell her. It's not even a big deal."

"Well it's none of my business, so I should get going. Like I said don't take long, we need your help in the kitchen."

"Can't I help out in the yard?"

"No, you can not. If you would have woke up early you could have. That's why flaca, maria, and daya get to help out in the yard. They were the first ones up."

"So I have to be stuck with you and Aledia. The old ones."

"Hey! We're not old."

"Keep telling yourself that." I laugh out.

"Fuck you." Gloria says as she flips me off and leaves.
------------
Flaca's pov

A part of me loves Mother's Day, because I get to celebrate my mom and how she is such a good mom even though sometimes are relationship is rocky. Another part of me hates Mother's Day because it was the day that my father walked out on us. It was hard when he left us, for months on in she kept crying. She was devastated, and it broke my heart to see her like that. I stepped up to my fathers place. I got a job as soon as I was able too. My mom taught me that education was one of the most important things in life. I graduated at the top of my class.

Not being able to spend Mother's Day with my mom is hard. As time went on I ended up coming out to her and she was nothing but accepting towards me. Our relationship grew stronger over the years. So not being able to see her for Mother's Day is hard. The last past year she has been battling cancer. I recently got news that it got worse. It's hard knowing that last year was probably the last time I was going to be able to spend Mother's Day with her.

The only thing I could do now is pray that nothing bad happens to her. My mother was big on religion. I have strong faith in the man above. We always use to go to church on Sunday. When I was young, about six years old, I use to hate going to church, I had to dress up in a dress and put on a bow. I was a major tomboy back then.

"Hey flaca! What you thinking about?" I hear daya call out.

"Nothing much."

"Well, you better not because any minute now everyone should be arriving."

"Chill daya. I was just thinking about my mom."

"I was also thinking about my mom. Even though she's in prison with me." Daya chuckles out the last part.

"Ok ladies. Back to your bunks, your families will be arriving in less than twenty minutes"

"Do you like having her in prison with you or no?" I ask daya as I set down the last decoration we were putting up.

" A part of me does and a part of me doesn't. Even though I wish the setting was different I get to see her everyday which I'm grateful for. I wish that she had a better life than her living in prison. I wished she lived in a mansion." Daya laughs and wipes her nose. "They say that a mother always wants what's best for her child but deep down I think that the feeling is always mutual. A kid seeing her mother struggle is equivalent to a mother seeing her child struggle. It hurts both the mom and kid."

As I sulk up all the things daya said to me, I couldn't help but relate to every word she said.

___________________________
Here's chapter nine! I'm sorry it's not that long! I'm trying to get in the swings again. I hope you enjoy it! Thank you so much for all the votes and comments, I really appreciate it. I didn't read over it so sorry for the mistakes.