Chapter 7

Trigger Warning, mention of depression.

Maritza's pov

"Maritza!" I hear Gloria call out as flaca and I come to a stop so they could catch up.

"Yeah?" I respond.

"Do you think we can talk?" Gloria asks.

"Sure." I reply.

"You guys go on ahead, me and maritza here are going to have a little talk." Gloria says as she waves the girls off.

"What's going on?" I ask Gloria after the girls are no where to be seen.

"You tell me." She responds.

"What do you mean?" I ask with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"What's going on between you and flaca?" She asks as she raises her eyebrows.

"Why does everyone think that? There is nothing going on between me and flaca!" I say in a angry tone.

"Look mija." She says in a soft tone. "I know I have no right making assumptions, but I see the way she looks at you. I haven't seen you smile or laugh in a while, and all of a sudden Flaca comes along and you are the happiest I've ever seen you. How many months has it been since you genuinely smiled?"

"First off, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, going on between flaca and I. We are just friends, I don't even know her that good to jump into a relationship."

"Then how come you have been so hap-" Gloria states before I cut her off.

"I suffer from depression! You know that. I have good days and days when I can barely get out of bed. I'm allowed to be happy, just because I suffer from this disorder doesn't mean I live everyday waiting till I'm lying on my death bed. Yes, I've been the happiest I've been in over six months, and yes flaca has a little part in it, but I'm happy because I finally don't feel like I'm stuck in the tides of the roaring ocean, that's tearing me down with each and every wave and I am trying to save myself. I don't feel like I am struggling for a breath of fresh air but every time that I get a chance to breathe I am pushed back down again. I don't feel like I am drowning and I can see everyone around me breathing." I say with tears threatening to fall down my cheeks.

"Awe mija, come here." Gloria says while she opens up her arms and waits till I hug her back.

"I'm sorry, I just, I need time alone." I say as I take off in the opposite direction of the Latina bunks.

----------
Gloria's pov

I watched as maritza took off in the opposite direction of the bunks and saw her wipe her eyes on her forearm. I hate when I see one of my girls upset, especially Maritza, she has been through so much. I still remember the day I came across her and took her in.

~flashback~

It was a hot summer day, the sun was shining bright, the birds chirping. Daya, Maria, aleida, and I were all doing are daily job, cleaning up the yard. We were finishing up, picking up all the trash that was on the grass field track.

"Gloria!" I hear Daya shout out as we were a bit far from one another. "Don't you think we should take a break, it's like a hundred degrees out here." She added as she fluffs out her shirt in-attempt to cool herself down.