eighteen

Start from the beginning

"Only a few more weeks," I repeat. "But is going to feel like eternities."

"I know. But it'll be over before you know it."

"Yeah," I sigh. "I love you."

"I love you more."

Before I have a chance to reply, one of his teammates barges in and yells, "Oh, look at Four getting all sentimental with his girlfriend," with a hand over his heart.

"Shut up, Matt," Tobias laughs.

"Hey, Matt," I say and wave to my phone. Matt waves back and walks away.

"Bea! Breakfast!" Mom yells from the kitchen.

"Coming!" I yell back. "I have to go eat breakfast, I'll talk to you later," I say to Tobias.

"Okay, bye."

"Bye," I smile and end the call.

I stand up from the couch and go back into the kitchen.

I sit down on a stool and put two pieces of French toast on the plate in front of me. I lather them in strawberry jam, and grab three pieces of bacon from a plate in front of the griddle my mom's using.

I chow down on my food, and finish within fifteen minutes. I put my plate and juice cup in the sink, thank Mom for breakfast and head back upstairs to take a shower.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
A couple days later, I wake up at five am and throw on my Adidas soccer sweats, an old Divergent High Volleyball t-shirt, a zip up hoodie, and Nike roshes. I put my hair up into a messy bun, and barely bother putting on makeup; I wash my face, put foundation and mascara on, and then brush my teeth. I need to have at least foundation and mascara on, or I'll look like a total zombie; and no one wants to see that.

I grab my two suitcases and cinch bag and run downstairs where my parents are waiting for me. I won't lie to you, one of my suitcases is filled entirely with shoes.

"Ready?" Mom asks.

"Yep," I reply and walk out to my parents' Kia Optima that we're taking to the airport.

The drive is short and sweet, then Dad parks the car and we all head inside to get our boarding passes and check our suitcases.

We go through security, then head to our gate. I sit with my parents for awhile, but then get thirsty and head to the Starbucks inside the airport.

I order a caramel cocoa cluster frappuccino and a lemon loaf. I pay for my order then walk over to where they give you your order. I decide to give Tobias a call, and it goes to voicemail after awhile.

"Hey babe. You're probably still sleeping, but I wanted to let you know that I'm at the airport. Um, I think we have about 10-15 minutes until we board the plane," I grab my drink and lemon loaf from the counter when it shows up, "and then we're off. I'll text you when we land. I love you. Call or text me later, okay? Okay, bye. I love you." I hang up then put my phone in my pocket and walk back to the gate.

We board the plane when they call our row, and I get ready for four and a half hours in a small space with my parents. I put on my beats headphones and drink from my frappuccino.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
"Congrats, bro," I say when I hug my brother after his graduation ceremony. "You too Amanda." I hug her also.