Chapter 1

Akari POV

"Finally here" I grumble to myself as I walk through the door to the hunter exam. I head to the nearest wall scanning my surroundings. 'there aren't many people here yet' I think to myself. I look at the people around me, about 46 I think. A small green guy approaches me and hands me a tag.

"You are number 48" he says cheerfully. I take the tag 'damn, I was a few numbers off, then again I'm no good at any type of math or just counting in general.'

I sigh as I slowly slide down the wall to a sitting position. 'Well, doesn't hurt to check out some of the competition'. I scan the room for anyone that may catch my eye. Until I see one person and just stare. Yes, I know it's not nice to stare but when you see a guy dressed in a clown costume you would stare too.

I slowly give him a once over he looks really strong. He has a kind of aura around him that kept everyone away, that and the fact that he's smirking creepily to himself. Honestly despite the weird outfit and the makeup the guy's very attractive, which I think only makes him look more suspicious. I continue staring until he turns and looks directly at me, I turn my gaze away quickly as a chill goes down my back. 'What is that guy's deal?'.

Everyone else who starts to come through the entrance is pretty average looking. Not too many threatening people in my opinion, except for this one guy with needles in his face. It looks so unnatural the way he walks and moves that I have to stop looking at him, he also seems exceptionally strong.

There is no one else my age here and I don't particularly want to talk to an adult. I slowly zone out due to boredom, letting time pass. I start to pay attention again.

After a long period of time when I hear this guy say hello for the fifth time. I finally look up "oh sorry I wasn't paying attention" I say rubbing my head sheepishly.

"Oh that's alright wanna toast to our new friendship" he says as he holds out a can of suspicious looking juice.

"Umm I don't think so" I say slowly pushing the can away.

"Oh are you sure you don't want it" he says with a nervous smile.

I take a deep breath before I say rather loudly "I don't want your f*cking poison!". Everyone in the room suddenly stops talking and just stares as I slowly realize I was way too loud. 'Oh gosh people are staring at me how do I get them to stop staring'. I sink back further into the wall letting the hood of my cloak completely cover my face as a bright blush turns my face red. 'Thank god no one can see it'.

I look at the man who offered me the juice as he stares at me in shock, then he quietly backs away from me. I sat there 'damn, I let my temper get the better of me'. I was deep in my thoughts thinking about what had just happened.

Suddenly someone spoke next to me. "How did you know?" A bored voice asks. I look up to where the voice came from, surprised to see a young boy around my age leaning next to me. He had white hair and sky blue eyes and he looked as bored as he sounded.

I don't really feel like talking "none of your business" I say rather harshly. He looks at me frustratedly before calming down and saying "whatever" as he walks away. 'That kid seems like he's got some issues'. I sigh as I see the room slowly fill up with people one by one.

I notice a group of 3 walk in; a tall man who looks about in his thirties in a blue suit, a blonde-haired boy with grey eyes around 16, and a young boy who looks my age wearing all green with spiky hair. 'Well they look friendly' I think as I approach them, overhearing them talk to that weird guy with the juice.

I see them all spit out the juice as the spiky haired boy says "ne, Tonpa I think this juice is expired". 'Oh so that's the weird guys name'. I wait for Tonpa to leave and then approach.

"Hello" I say smiling.

"Hello" the spiky haired boy says happily.

"I'm Akari and who are you?" I say looking at them.

"Oh I'm Gon" the spiky haired boy says "this is Kurapika" he says pointing to the blonde boy " and that's Leorio" he says pointing to the guy in the suit.

"Nice to meet you" I say cheerfully. Suddenly, one of the walls slide open to reveal a man with no mouth. He begins to tell us what we are doing for the Hunter exam.

I zone out, not really listening, just staring at his mustache move, thinking 'how do you talk with no mouth?'. I was completely focused on it until everyone started running, I ran too. 'This must be part of the Hunter exam, well I can keep up. I'm a pretty good runner' I think.

Authors Note: Hello everyone!! So this is my first published fanfic, I hope you liked the first chapter! I will post new chapters every weekend (hopefully). So see you then.

But-I'm-Special