“Who?”

“Please, everyone knows you’re dipping your family jewels in the Heinz market.”

“I don’t know. Somewhere inside,” he said and paused. “Does Sapphire know?”

“I didn’t tell her. I’m a better friend than that. In fact, I am such a good friend that I’m going to tell you something that Sapphire doesn’t even admit to herself. She really misses you.”

John’s heart stopped. Chrissy was, like, super smart and the puppet master of mind games and he didn’t want to fall for it, just to be made fun of.

Chrissy smiled at him slyly, grabbed another bottle of champagne, and opened it.

“Really? Because I just called her, and she said she wanted to cut my balls off and shove them up my ass.”

Chrissy sighed then flipped her hair and some hit him in the eye. It stung.

“She’s hurt you idiot. God, it's like you went to public school or something. You dumped her at The Club, in front of everyone that's anyone, i.e. me. She's heartbroken and she’s totally taking stuff out on me right now. Like always, Chrissy has to carry everyone’s burdens.”

“How is she by the way?” he asked trying to sound casual.

Sadness came and passed over Chrissy’s face in a flash of a second then she chugged her drink and shrugged.

“Fine. I guess. Haven’t really talked to her for a few days; she’s stressed out. Got a finger in the mail because I have a jealous stalker.” She stood up. “Anyway, I just call it like it is. I’m not screwing with you.”

“My father wants me to marry someone like you.”

Their eyes met and there was a moment. One of those moments that were hard to pin point the exact emotions. Then Chrissy broke it off with loud laughter.

“I guess that’s the question. Are you Daddy’s little boy...or are you a man?”

“If he cuts me off, Sapphire and I would end up in the poor house with her measly 30 mil. What kind of a life is that?”

“You do what you have to do,” Chrissy said and wandered off to go smack the Prince of Sweden on the ass, leaving John alone with the few thoughts he had.

*****

Aston watched Shelly poke around in her mashed potatoes and felt the hunger dig through his stomach. He hadn’t eaten since the day before, and he was so hungry even hospital food started looking like the tastiest shit in the world.

“I can’t believe I’m here,” she said, confused.

“What do you mean?” Aston eyed the wrapped brownie on her tray.

“It doesn’t matter,” she said quietly and swirled her fork around in the peas, making no effort to eat any.

Even Aston knew it would be crossing the line to steal a kidnap and torture victim's first real meal, but still... “Are you gonna eat that brownie?”

“No.” Shelly made a motion to give him the dessert, then stopped and stared at the white gauze around the stump of her arm. She sat there for a long time, a little taken back, then tossed the brownie to him with her other hand. “I’ll never get used to it.”

“Of course you won’t.” Aston said, unwrapping the treat, feeling guilty as he was using both of his hands to do so. She looked over at him, stunned, and Aston could tell he had said something wrong. “I mean...who would? You have two hands and then bam, one’s gone. How could you get used to that?”