The same, over and over. "Where is the Dragon Empress?"

    The ancient rulers of Shan Alee, they who long ago enslaved all other races of humanity, were the Aleesh. They and their elder bloodline, the first of its kind, were supposedly extinct after the slave uprisings that destroyed the Empire of Scales. Few knew this, as the Highest Kings of Althandor concealed the secret history from all but the other elder bloodlines and the sworn brothers of the Order. To all others, Shan Alee was little more than a fable.

    There was but one person that Krayson thought the king could be referring to with his question. In all his life, he'd only seen one Aleesh, Elise of Eastrun, and Krayson didn't know where she had gone in her pursuit of Princess Jin.

    After the third beating at Cathis' hands, Krayson began to believe that the king had someone other than Elise in mind. Whoever the king's Dragon Empress might have been, Krayson wouldn't want to trade places with her, even now. Cathis despised Krayson for his family's crimes, but her...

    Cathis would tear down the world to see her and all she loved burn.

    "The Krayson at last rewards us with his presence," the king said. "Captain Falar, I have not come to expect tardiness from you."

    Falar knelt before the dais and dragged Krayson down to kneel beside her. "My apologies, Your Grace. There was an attempt on the prisoner's life, and I brought him to your surgeon."

    Cathis' beast-like eyes grew dangerous. "The culprit?"

    "The warden of your dungeon, Your Grace," Falar said. "Princess Maya thwarted this treason, and he is now being held in custody."

    "My eldest is to be commended for her diligence," Cathis said. "As are you, Captain Falar. This latest act against me only illustrates that such diligence is needed now more than ever."

    An assassin came forward and ascended the dais to the king's side. Only the queen or those marked by the elder magic of House Algara were permitted to do so. The assassin was Prince Vintus, the king's younger brother.

    "The warden must be interrogated immediately, Brother," Vintus said. "This proves your suspicions."

    He was a compact and well-built man. His black hair was shaved on the sides of his head and the rest gathered into a tail. Vintus had an elegant, aquiline nose and a severe look about him.

    Cathis let out a slow breath. Vintus' words appeared to come as a relief to him. "Indeed. I suspect my daughter is already looking into it."

    "She is, Your Grace," Falar said. "Her Highness is most troubled by what she sees in the palace as of late."

    Krayson nearly laughed. Falar might never lie to the king, but withholding key parts must not have been so odious to her.

    "Perhaps it would be wiser to await hearing what the warden has to say," Vintus suggested. "The Krayson's testimony might carry more weight when we know more about these plots against us."

    "No," Cathis said. "The Krayson has nothing of merit to tell me. He has only one thing yet to do, and that is to die."

    Krayson's breath caught in his throat. So, he wasn't required to speak. It seemed that he wouldn't even be given the chance. He felt fear, cold and consuming. I will not die, he thought defiantly.

    Even as he told himself that, he knew it was the hopeless, final denial of the condemned. Only a miracle could spare him from the king's wrath.

    Miracles did not exist.

    Vintus looked thoughtful. "He was noted by the Order as entering the city after Tarlen was killed. It seems he is innocent of her murder."