Chapter Twenty-Three: Lyra's School Of Hard Knocks

(Lyra)  

We escaped from the city with no more drama or commotion. It was surprisingly easy to avoid whatever warriors were left alive and we slinked back over the wall as if nothing had happened. After the full day-and-a-half walk, we arrived at the camp toward the evening. I saw no need to hoover over Stella like a hawk, so I pointed her to the spare houses and was about to retire to my own home when I heard another voice.

"Where's her handcuffs?" came the obnoxious sound that was Nephele's voice as soon as I had said my goodbyes to Stella. I tried to remain civil as I turned to look at her.

"I've known her longer than I knew you when you first came here," I said calmly. "Plus, she didn't try to kill me..." Nephele was giving me her usual annoyingly scornful smirk, but there was something different, almost grave, in her expression, as if she was concerned about something.

"Do you not understand the flaws in her story? Do you not hear the lies in her words?" My first reaction was to insult her, but I bit my tongue; she seemed like she was really trying to help... So, instead, I opted to use my logic and reasoning to try to get her to calm down.

"Where were you when we freed her from prison? She was in jail! Were you not conscious when we had to kill guards to free her? Why would Uxor sacrifice their own warriors for the sake of a ruse?"

"You clearly think the Uxors have morals," she replied. "Among many, that is a mistake of yours when reading people."

"Okay, fine," I growled, throwing my arms up in the air, somewhat incredulous at the stupidity of what she had just said. "Then why would you agree to help us if you're so aware of their lack of morality?"

 "I helped because when I'm right I will rub it in your face," she huffed.

"That's real mature, Nephele." I rolled my eyes heavily.

"Did you even ask her why she was up for execution?" I didn't like the condescending tone her voice was taking on.

"Yes," I defended, backed by a reassuring hiss from Dolosus, "and it's because she was caught helping us."

"Bullshit," she hissed. "She would never be executed for that, merely exiled."

"Where I'm from, treason was even less excusable than sex," I snapped in response, stepping a bit closer to her unconsciously.

"We got her from Russia, or did you forget that small detail?" She squared up to me, putting her face close to mine.

'Calm yourself,' Dolosus advised. 'Don't let her get the better of you.'

"Why don't you trust her?" I asked, trying to edge away from the tension before I punched her.

"Her story doesn't add up and if you opened your eyes and stopped trying to be the good guy, you'd see that."

"So what do you propose we do?" I leaned back against a tree.

"Treat her like you treated me."

"The circumstances are different." She shook her head.

"Not at all. She's a liar and liars are notorious for weaving their way out of situations. She needs extra guards if anything."

"I don't see how there's any evidence she's lying," I shrugged. She screamed out in frustration.

"You are so stupid!" My angry glare returned.

"Watch your tone, Nephele. I respect your opinion, but all I'm saying is that you have yet to convince me of anything."