Chapter Fourteen: The Lost World

(Lyra)

"I don't see how this could happen!" I growled, confused and very much aggravated as I paced around my bedroom. Dolosus just looked on silently from his hollow, too lost in his own thoughts to comment on mine, but I knew he was as dumbfounded as me. What had happened yesterday? This wasn't even possible; how could a Uxor have Bonded? Dolosus had told me that the animals only felt connections with the Insurgo. So why, how, had this happened? It wasn't possible...

'Apparently it is possible,' Dolosus interjected, not being very helpful, 'and I think rather than fret, we need to accept it.''

"It doesn't make sense." I shook my head. "None of it does. Her ignorance and level of intolerance makes me sick. It spits in the face of everything we Insurgo fight for, so how is it that she became one of us? She's not; she doesn't even think like we do. It feels surreal... And it's alarming."

'I know,' he replied, 'but there's nothing we can do. She's Bonded and nothing is going to change that...'

"But why?" I asked, not really expecting a reply; Dolosus didn't know any better than I did.

'Because that is what Imara chose. If you remember, Lyra, when I Bonded you, you had only been an Insurgo  for a matter of minutes. I do not like this girl, actually I hate her and want to slowly gouge both her eyes out while the entire camp watches in awe, but there is something about her that an Animus liked, so maybe she's not the person we think she is.'

"Yeah..."

'We have a visitor,' Dolosus mused suddenly, turning his head toward my doorway. I looked up to see Felix, formarly known by Nephele as Twelve, standing in the opening, looking nervous.

"What do you want?" I snapped a bit harshly, probably because I was feeling very angry. He jumped a little, clearly scared.

"I just- I wanted to see if you were okay... You uh...  Looked agitated..."

"I'm fine," I assured him. "Just a bit off..."

"Okay," he said slowly, backing up toward the exit. "I just wanted to be sure..."

'You know, I wouldn't let him leave,' Dolosus said.

"Why?" I asked, ignoring the uncomfortable expression on Felix's face because I appeared to be talking to myself.

'He could provide some insight about about your new friend,' he responded obnioxiously. Of course...

"Felix," I said quickly, "don't leave just yet. I want to talk to you." It annoyed me how he immediately did as I asked, but I suppose he couldn't help it, poor guy.

"Of course, Lyra."

"Is Nephele different from others of her kind?"

"Well, not really..." he trailed off; clearly he had been told not to speak about her habits.

"Are you lying to me?" I asked, trying to sound angry, knowing it would scare him. He rung his hands together nervously.

"She wasn't much different..." Dolosus swept down from his hollow, landing on my head and glaring at Felix critically.

"I'm sorry," I replied, "but I can't believe that. She's done something that Uxor's aren't supposed to be able to do under any circumstances. I want to know the truth, now. What. Made. Her. Different?"

"Well, she was often accused of being kinder to me than many other women, which to an extent was true... And um... Well, she sort of had a fascination with men." I could see the worry on his face when he realised what he just said. "Please don't tell her I told you."