Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Hazel

As I walk up to the double doors I can't help but pause right before opening the doors. I just have that intense feeling of throwing up but at the same time a little bit of the antsy type of excitement. I know I am a major fool to be excited about HIGH SCHOOL, but at that moment, it seems right.

I finally decide to walk into the giant theater to find my seat at the Freshman meeting. As I sit down at my seat I notice a familiar face sitting right next to me. At that moment, I realize it's the attractive boy who lives down the street from my house. I was right about to grab the pamphlet until he stretches out his hand and introduces himself.

"Hi, I'm Aaron!" He says a little too enthusiastically as he shakes my hand, slightly crushing it half way through.

"Hello I'm Hazel," I say sweetly and after I realized his enthusiasm and smile is VERY contagious.

As he starts to speak about how he saw me in our neighborhood the lights dim down to where the stage is. There's a pause of silence then suddenly I feel a breath against my ear. I was easy to freak out and was about to have an internal panic attack until I hear Aaron's voice say, "I'm scared of the dark." His voice was very intimidating but had a calming effect at the same time.

As I feel his breath move away from my ear, like a reflex, I reach over and grab his hand and see from the corner of my eye a huge grin on his face. Along with him just blatantly staring at me.

Throughout the meeting, Aaron and I were just cracking jokes the entire time. At one point he started lip syncing to everything she was saying and it was just perfectly on rhythm.

About half way through Aaron and I got so crazy and loud that the lady stopped speaking for the second time. The problem was that we were so into our jokes that we couldn't stop laughing which made it even worse on us. So by the end of the meeting, we ended up getting two Saturday detentions, but Aaron didn't seem to mind because he kept imitating the speaker's face which was red as a balloon when she was writing our detention slips, which made me sort of happy I got to spend two Saturdays with him.

As we start to walk out the door I hear Aaron start to talk nervously, but still confidently, "So... You want to hang out after detention this Saturday?"

As shocked as I was with his question I politely ask, "as friends? Or??"

"Of course of friends" he states with so much enthusiasm, but still looks down and starts to blush like crazy as he walks with me to the bus sitting right across from me. Every now and then I can see from the corner of my eye him staring blankly at me, smiling, looking down, looking back up biting his lip, then looking back down like it's a never-ending process.

~Flashback over~

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Thea asks in a monotone whisper.

"Actually, a scientific study proves that the egg came first because it was created by two 'non-chicken' like animals!" I smile widely and glance at Thea who gives me a blank look.

"I don't care." She said as she turns around and pretends to listen. I turn back to the screen to see the same guy looking at me. I gazed down and tried to avoid eye contact, but I could still feel the burning stare. So far, we have been sitting in this boring and stinky room for the last two hours and by the looks of it, we are nowhere near finished! There has been no sign of Dimitri showing up and I am thrilled he isn't here to see this. All the lead members have been talking about are how we are so unique to be entering this secret world. Quite frankly, if I could choose I would go back home I would. I've been here for 3 weeks and we haven't even been told our 'gifts' yet.