Chapter 10

"She's had an extra long nap so she should be nice and perky," said Nanny Sophia, carrying Mary Kate out of her nursery.

Jackie had just gotten her hair pulled into a neat up-do by Amanda Cook Tucker, the royal family's favorite hair stylist, a brand new fascinator pinned on top. She was wearing a pair of small pearl earrings the Queen had given her before her wedding and a new white dress. It was Mary Kate and George's christening day, and the royals were due to leave their homes in a few minutes. Jackie, of course, was running a bit behind- Mary Kate wasn't even dressed.

"I couldn't have done it without you, Nanny Sophia," Jackie thanked, taking her daughter from the Spanish nanny.

"I've laid out the gown on her changing table, all you have to do it put it on," Nanny Sophia called as she hurried to her own bedroom in York Cottage to put on her best dress for the occasion.

Jackie dressed the very vocal Mary Kate in her white silk christening gown.

"Don't you look beautiful!" Jackie cooed, holding Mary Kate up in front of her. Mary Kate flapped her arms up and down, letting out a happy shriek.

"You're going to have to keep the screaming to a minimum at the ceremony, I'm afraid," Jackie said with a smile. Mary Kate already had such a personality at 3 months old- she was just like Harry. She was loud, and was grinning and squealing at just about everything. Jackie had a feeling she was going to be a handful at public events, especially when she could walk and talk. But Mary Kate's gummy little smile, the way she flapped her arms when she got excited, her high-pitched excited scream, and the way she rested her hands and face on Jackie's chest every time she held her were the absolute best things in the world.

"Ready to go?" Jackie asked. Mary Kate screeched as Jackie carried her down the grand staircase of York Cottage, where Harry, Nanny Sophia, and Elizabeth were waiting.

"Oh, thank god," Elizabeth gushed, checking her watch. "I thought we were going to be late."

"A Duchess is never late," Jackie said in her best Julie Andrew's impression, "everyone else is simply early."

Harry laughed, Elizabeth let out a stressed sigh, and Nanny Sophia snapped a quick picture of Mary Kate in Jackie's arms.

"You need to be out the door at exactly 4:21," Elizabeth said, straightening her outrageous fascinator- complete with a feathered bird and halo of flowers. "That way you'll run into William and Catherine on the main road and you'll arrive together."

"Got it," Jackie promised. "I'll see you at the church."

Elizabeth wrung her hands, leaning in to give Mary Kate a peck on the forehead. "See you soon, my little goddaughter."

Jackie and Harry had decided on 5 godparents for Mary Kate. Kate and Will, of course (Jackie and Harry had been chosen as George's), as well as Elizabeth, Jackie's second best friend and most trusted advisor, and Harry's cousins, Princess Beatrice and Peter Phillips.

Jackie, Harry, and Mary Kate were left alone in the foyer of York Cottage while Elizabeth and Nanny Sophia headed for St. Mary Magdalene Church, just a few minutes walk down the road. The paths from York Cottage and Anmer Hall met at a fork just in front of the church, so the families had decided they would leave their houses separately before meeting up, just before they got in the view of the paparazzi and fans that had been camped out all day in front of the church.  

"She just looks so pretty in her gown," Jackie said as she tucked Mary Kate into the Silver Cross pram she would be riding in on the way to the church.

"Do you think she'll be cold?" Harry asked. It was October 23rd, early fall, and a cool breeze was blowing across the Norfolk countryside.

"No, I don't think so, the dress is pretty thick."