Episode 13

Chapter 36

Zelda Martin called Mr. Carrington on the phone early Thursday morning.

“Everything’s set for Saturday pick up at around 1:00,” Mr.Carrington said. “Go over everything with me again so we can make sure we are on the same page.”

“Of course,” Zelda Martin replied eagerly. “The wedding begins at two o’clock, but like most weddings they’ll probably run late. Anyway, you can arrive early, by about 1:30 and pick the illegal immigrants up before the wedding ceremony actually begins; you know, just as they are about to enter the church. Or, you can wait until the ceremony is just ending and then burst in with your guys and gather them up. I prefer this one as it will add an element of surprise.”

“OK, Mrs. Martin, we’ll go with that one,” Mr.Carrington said. “I’ll make sure we have enough buses and agents ready. We don’t want to leave any of them behind. Now, where will you and your husband be so I’ll be able to get in touch with you?”

“My husband and I will be just outside the front double doors greeting and directing people as they enter the church. By the way, Mr.Carrington,” Zelda Martin continued, “make sure you have at least five buses. There are quite a number of these Ethiopians. Anyway, you know I can’t believe Pastor Gillespie would be so selfish and inconsiderate. Do you know he did not even ask my husband to be a part of the wedding party, as faithful an assistant he’s been to him these many years.”

“Oh, my, that’s very inconsiderate of him,” Mr. Carrington said.

“Now, will you be riding in one of the buses, or will you follow in your car?” she asked.

“I’ll be driving my own car,” Mr. Carrington said.

“We’ll reserve you a parking spot off to the right of the handicapped parking section. It’s right out front.”

“All set,” Mr. Carrington said. “Why don’t you send me a picture of you and your husband so I’ll know who to look for.”

“Sure. I’ll send it to you in an attachment as soon as I get off the phone.”

Mr. Carrington shook his head as they hung up. He immediately dialed Pastor Gillespie’s number and shared with him Zelda Martin’s plan. “But this is my plan…” Mr. Carrington began.

“The Martins are proving to be more devious than I thought they were,” Pastor Gillespie said, “but I’m ready.” He then chuckled, “Are you sure you want to mess up my wedding day?”

“Pastor Gillespie, things will go so smoothly no one will notice anything,” Mr. Carrington assured him. “I thank you, Pastor, for working with us on this. I did some research on you and your church, and don’t worry, your good name will be protected. By the way, my wife and I were in your services on last Sunday. I don’t claim to be a church goer, but I was impressed not only with your straightforward and clear preaching, but I was also impressed with the mixture of races and culture. I tell you, All Peoples Non-Denominational Church is truly a church overflowing with all kinds of people.”

“Praise the Lord! You’re welcome here any time,” Pastor Gillespie said.

“My wife told me that she prayed the prayer of salvation you led everyone in at the end of your message.”

“Oh, she did! That’s a blessing!”

“I would like to speak with you more about that after your wedding,” Mr. Carrington said.

“You make sure to do that, my brother,” Pastor Gillespie replied. “Let’s stay in touch.”

Chapter 37