One

A/N: Hey guys! So here it is: Blue Moon! You've all been waiting ever so patiently and the time has finally come! Just to note, Chapter Two is a continuation on this chapter (it's kind of like Chapter 1.5), so keep an eye out for that. Also, the poem is "In Memoriam AHH by Alfred Lord Tennyson." 

Like always, VOTE. COMMENT. FAN. ENJOY. :D 

                                                           Chapter One

                                                              • Stiles •

Death doesn’t affect you; it affects the ones around you. It hurts those who love and care about you. I should know.

            Aubrey is dead, and I don’t know how to live without her. I’m struggling to figure out my life now that she’s not in it.

            When you love someone with every fiber of your being, the world shatters when you find out that they are gone.

            I sit in front of the closed casket, head buried in my hands with the chill of the graveyard seeping into my bones. It’s a cold, rainy day, with the fog creeping in to swirl around the trees and mask my uneven breaths. I haven’t slept in days, my barren stomach growling relentlessly, desperately. I didn’t know that I could feel this empty and alone.

            Tears build up at the corners of my eyes, making my vision blurry, but I don’t let them fall. I haven’t cried since that night in the clinic, with hands tied behind my back and violet eyes in the dark. Now, I’m constantly startling out of the past screaming, my fingers trying to destroy whatever they can reach. My dad will run in, face rumpled, and stare at me until I’m able to bite my lip hard enough that it bleeds.

            I’m allowed some time alone with her before the funeral, though the definition of ‘alone’ doesn’t really apply with the news reporters and interviewers pressing against the nearby wall of police. Of course they want the full story of what happened, since I’m the only witness― though I didn’t actually see her when she died. Even for this strange town, Aubrey’s death is unusual. Someone doesn’t just drop dead in the middle of a veterinary clinic.

            I don’t know who killed her. It was someone from the alpha pack― that much I am positive of. My guess would be Roxanne, with her flaming fury, though it could have easily been the over-zealous Paul, even if he was paralyzed at the time. Maybe it was even Jake; though he was a friend of Aubrey’s and protected her, that could have changed. Loyalties always lie within the heart of a pack.

            The frozen earth feels completely solid beneath me, but I half want it to give way. I press my hand against the smooth finish of the coffin, carved with intricately elegant golden symbols. Outer beauty to match what is within.

            I haven’t even seen her body, and I’ve been given strict orders not to; my dad thinks seeing her corpse will mess with my brain structure or whatever, but I’m way past the point of ever recovering. I can picture her in death though― hair as black as the night she was born from, cascading in silken waves around her perfect face; skin white as paper, blood red lips contrasting sharply; vibrant violet eyes closed evermore; the dress that she wears that takes my breath away, shimmering when it catches the light. When I close my eyes, I can still see her in that clearing: smiling when she saw the stereo; biting her lip when she thought I wasn’t looking; resting her head on my shoulder as music flowed around us. If I tune out her final screams― always echoing in my head, torturing me― I can feel her next to me― living, breathing, existing. Anything to stop the sensation of drowning.