Chapter 9

Sly jumped out of bed and threw on his clothes. He went to see if Carmelita was asleep. He tiptoed to her room and opened the door softly. Then he saw Carmelita asleep on a chair, wearing her glasses with an open book on her lap. He chuckled softly as he quietly walked over to her and carefully picked her up and carried her to her bed. Once she was safely under the covers, he gave her a light kiss on her forehead before leaving the room.

Sly went back to his room. He unlocked his window and took a deep breath. He hopes that Carmelita would forgive him in time. He jumped through the window and landed safely on the asphalt. Then he ran to a rooftop and jumped. He ran as fast as he could without even stopping to catch his breath. The cold air sent chills up his spine, and his cheeks were beginning to turn icy cold. Then after it seemed like hours, he got to where he was going. His old hideout.

He was excited to meet his lifelong friends again. He took a deep breath as he knocked on the door. He heard muffled shouts and then he heard a voice yell,

"I'll get it!" A few seconds later, a familiar face opened the door. It was Sly's best friend and Bentley's girlfriend, Penelope. She eyed him up and down before she let out an excited scream.

"Sly!" She jumped up and hugged him.

"Oh I missed you so much!" Sly laughed.

"I missed you too Penelope!" Then another familiar face popped up.

"Little buddy!" Sly's smile grew even bigger as Murray picked him up and squeezed him in a tight hug.

"We thought you were never coming back!" Sly chuckled.

"Oh, I'll always come back. How could I leave such great friends?" Then Bentley came.

"Sly!" He yelled.

"Bentley! Oh I missed you all very much!" Sly bent over to hug Bentley in his wheelchair.

"Where have you been, Sly? We were all worried sick!"

"There's plenty of time to tell you guys. What have you guys been doing?"

Penelope blushed as she showed him her left hand. Bentley showed Sly his left hand as well. Each had an engagement ring on them. Before Sly could say anything, Penelope said,

"We're going to get married!" Sly was almost speechless.

"What?!" They laughed in happiness as Sly hugged them both again.

"Congrats!" Sly laughed. He was so happy for them.

"You and Murray are going to be my best men!" Bentley said, also grinning. Sly couldn't say anything. He just stood there smiling foolishly with his eyes twinkling.

"So Sly," Murray broke in,

"Where have you been?" Sly chuckled and said,

"It's a long story, pal. A long story." Sly sat on the couch and Murray sat next to him. Bentley stayed in his wheel chair and Penelope sat on the ground next to Bentley and held his hand. Then Sly told them the story of him faking amnesia so he could be with Carmelita, to where she's about to lose the house.

Then Sly told them about his idea. When he was done, they were speechless.

"You mean you want a cop living with a gang of thieves?!" Bentley said, a little louder then Sly would've liked.

"But she scares us!" Murray said.

"I don't mind her living here," Bentley said,

"But won't she try to throw us in jail?" Sly laughed.

"I'm sure she'll be pissed for a while, but she'll soon realize that this is the only place for her to live. Her parents are dead so that's not an option. All of her friends live too far away from her work, and she would never quit her job." Murray and Bentley looked at each other and said,

"Fine. When do you think she'll be ready to move in?" Sly sighed.

"I don't know. Maybe next month at the most."