Chapter 8

The ride back to Carmelita's apartment was quiet. It started raining softly. As the rain lightly hit the glass, Sly noticed that Carmelita looked very worried. "Carm?" Sly asked.

"Yes, Sly?"

"Are you okay?" She sighed.

"I'm fine," Sly could tell she was lying. They pulled up in her driveway.

"Do you want some water?" she asked, as they walked in.

"Sure, thanks." Sly said with a grin. She walked to the kitchen. Sly looked around the small living room. Then he saw an end table with a large amount of letters on it. They were unpaid bills for a various amount of things. He briefly scanned through them until he stopped at one that looked important. He opened it and read the red writing. By the time he was done, his mouth was hanging open. Carmelita hasn't paid the monthly rent for the apartment room for months. She was about to lose the house!

Sly quickly put the letters back as Carmelita walked in.

"Here, Sly." She said as she gave him the drink.

"Thanks." Sly said as he took a sip. He then started a fire for Carmelita.

"Don't get cold, Carm," he said. "I'm ready to turn in. I had a rough day." Sly grabbed Carmelita's waist as he drew her in for a long, soft kiss.

"Goodnight," Carmelita whispered as Sly headed towards his room.

When Sly was in his room, he kicked off his boots and took off his shirt and pants. He jumped in his bed to get warm. He thought about Carmelita about to lose her home and what he could do about it. He thought for about an hour. Then it hit him. But he need Murray's and Bentley's help.