Chapter 1

I smiled nervously to myself as I opened the taint-yellow envelope. Pushing a piece of my blonde hair behind my ear, I took a long breath. There was a folded piece of pink paper. Isn't it ironic how one little piece of paper and ink will be the sorting out of your whole future - all of your hopes and dreams? If I didn't get into Harvard, I don't know what I would do. I never had any backup plans for myself, but now the regret of not having one was devouring my heart.

Taking a gulp, my shaking hand snatched up the paper. I unfolded it slowly with my eyes closed, counting to three. "Sweetheart, oh my god!" My mom said as she snatched the paper away from me. I reopened my eyes, giving her a crazy stare.

My mother's long, dark brown hair paraded her shoulders as she swayed around in happiness. Her petite figure, similar to mines, seemed to be almost glowing. I was partially sure the one glowing should have been me though. One question was whipping my mind, and it was : "Did I get in?!"

"Mom..?" I muttered.

"Baby girl, you're in! You're in!" Her feminine voice squealed.

I threw my hands in the air, running to jump into her small figure. I just couldn't believe it! All of my hard work has truly paid off! Now I can finally get rid of the tight knot in my stomach that wouldn't leave me alone. Ever since I was younger, my dad persuaded me to be the best of the best so Harvard scouts would notice me. I started my own school clubs, I tutored, I made sure to ask my teacher about extra credit every chance I could get, and now it's all paying off. Not to sound cocky, but did I really let myself think that I wouldn't get in?

"I've got to tell Hope!" "I gotta tell Arabella!" My mom and I both exclaimed at the same time.

Let's set some records straight. Hope is my mother's best friend. Being a foreign student from Guinea, Hope was very shy and usually made fun of - as my mother told me. She had befriended Hope and they made a pact to always be best friends. (Typical eigth graders.) But the pact was something that they vowed to keep, and they did. My mom got pregnant with me 1998, and about three months later so did Hope. Mom and Hope said that their two daughters would grow up to be best friends as well - and she was very much right about that.

I honestly can't wait for my dad to come home this week from his business convention, I don't want to call him over the phone because an opportunity as big as this shouldn't be discussed over a phone. Mom gave me another tight hug before running off into the kitchen where she had left her phone on the counter.

I rushed upstairs to head into my room where my iPhone was left. I had threw it down on the bed as soon as mom told me to check the mail. Other kids had gotten their acceptance letters this week, so I was anxious for the mail all day.

When I reached my room, I shut the door slightly behind me using the he of my foot. I jogged over to the bed where my phone was. Scooping it up in my hand, I tapped the button to see the screen light up. Arabella will not believe it. I bet she got her acceptance letter too! She'll be so happy..We'll be happy. Punching in the digits of her phone number, I clicked the button to call. The sound of her ringtone was making my whip my hips around a little. 'Worth It' by Fifth Harmony was my most beloved jam and everyone knew it.

"Hello?" Said her chill voice.

"Arabella! I got in! I GOT IN!' I jumped up and down.

"Really?!" She gasped. "Congratulations, I'm so happy for you! You're gonna be the best student they'd ever have."

A blush crept up my cheeks. "Thanks so much, AJ." I said right before she let out a long sigh.

"What's wrong?" All of the happiness in my tone was now replaced with concern.

"Uh..I'm on the waiting list. The note said they most likely won't choose me since there's too many people in the college, but that's also the deal with a lot of people on the waiting list. Fucking assholes." Her voice had risen a little, but I knew that anyone would be ready to scream. In the background, I could hear her mother yelling with her thick African accent.

Arabella and I are like sisters, therefore we're like a daughter to one another's moms. If something good for us happens, they're happy. If something bad for us happens, they might cry.

"I'm coming over right now." I said sternly.

"No, that's ok-" I cut her off by hanging up the phone. I didn't need to hear her make an excuse so she could be alone to cry.

Shoving my phone in the pocket of my skinny jeans, I opened the halfway-closed door and rushed back down the stairs once again. I almost tripped on the final stair. A light yelp escaped my mouth. (I could feel my heart ready to thump out of my chest!)

"Baby girl, are you alright?!" My mom yelled.

"Yeah, mom! I'm going to hurry over to Hope's house." I replied.

As I walked over to the doorway, mom came rushing from the kitchen. "Tell Arabella that I said to be optimistic!"

"Yeah..No. I'll tell her that you said to think positive, though." With a chuckle, I walked out of the door. Then - I walked back inside.

"Mom.." I whined.

She rolled her eyes, dropping my car keys in my hand. I gave her a thankful smile before rushing out again. I jogged over to the driveway where my stupid black Honda was parked. If only we were rich enough to have all of the fabulous vehicles..I pressed the button for an automatic unlock and opened the door, sliding inside.

"What were these idiots thinking when they put her on the waiting list?" I questioned to myself while starting the ignition.