Fall asleep

A fiery rusted sun climbs up the sky, takes it place and glows passionately.

March 5th.

Shaking your arm, Dan wakes you up.

"Hey beautiful" he chimed.

"Hey beast" you laugh.

You stretch in your chair and pull on your jumper. Though the snow has gone and spring has rolled in: it is still very cold. The nurse says they can leave in a few hours.

Phil arrived at the hospital and bought us breakfast from Starbucks. I pay him before sitting beside Dan. Phil sat next to me and smiled at a sleeping Dan.

Dan looked adorable. He was smiling in his sleep showing little dimples. His hands were tucked up to his face like a child.

A nurse carefully entered the room.

"You guys can leave, make sure Dan is careful otherwise he'll tare his stitches and reopen the wound."

We nod and take the pills she handed us.

Dan wakes up shortly after, gets dressed and we leave.

When you get home what Phil says changes everything.

"Why don't you move in Y/N? We're just next door." He says happily.

Dan looks at you hopefully.

You nod enthusiastically, hug Phil and carefully hug Dan. You go home and collect your belongings (you didn't have too many, mostly toteros, Pokémon, games and anime).

You drop it off in Dan's room and join them in the living room. You're fiddling with Dan's hair and stroking his face when there's a fast knock at the door.

*your POV (first person)

Phil answers.

"Hello sir does Dan Howell live here?" He asks. Phil nods and let's him past.

It's a police officer.

Dan sits up and stares at him intensely.

"We have begun a search for the suspect. We have a few questions..."

An eternity later Phil and I usher him out and close the door behind him.

Phil sits back down, I offer to make tea. The boys are asleep already. You just decide to go put on your Pikachu onsie.

By the time you've got dressed you hear murmurs enacting from the lounge.

"I know Phil, it's dangerous for her too." Dan whispered.

"Tell her or I will, she deserves to know. She's her family dont worry she won't hate you." Phil protests.

You stand back and open the door slowly. Peering round, Dan and Phil spin around, eyes wide with shock. They smile but there's no affection or meaning behind it, just guilt and worry. They aren't good at hiding anything.

You walk slowly into the kitchen and lean on the counter.

They look at you and snigger 'casually'.

You shrug your shoulders and turn back to the stove.

In the corner of your eye you see Dan and Phil whispering to one another. You spin around to attempt to catch them in the act.

"Guys come on, tell me what's going on; you're acting really weird." You instruct.

They look at each other and nod. Dan makes eye contact with you and looks down at his hands.

"Y/N, urhm... Well... He was arrested... Not before he... Your mother... He was angry that she told you and...," he stuttered, "I'm sorry..." Dan held his breath.

You need a minute to process this information.

She's gone.

You're alone.

Both parents...

Dead...

Silence falls on the group, you can practically hear Dan's heart thudding in his chest.

"I... Don't feel... Anything..."

As you say those words hot tears topple down your ashen cheeks.

And you're a mess.

You're on the sofa, Dan's cradling you, stroking your hair and kissing your head.

He kisses away your tears only for them to keep pouring.

He traces your spine with his finger tips and caresses the scar on your neck.

So much physical pain caused by emotions.

You feel your swollen eyes close though you aren't sleeping.

Dan kisses your hand and pulls you closer. Your head is resting on his shoulder.

He is holding back tears, "ugh." He moans in pain.

"Phil, can you give me a hand. I can't carry her with my stitches." Dan whispered so not to wake you.

Phil picks you up, your legs hung over his strong arms, your face nestled up against his chest.

He carefully lays you down onto the bed, he strokes your hair and kisses your head.

After turning of the light and closing the door he goes back to talk to Dan. You're left with your thoughts.

Though you have lost all respect for your mother, you can't deny, you feel something.

Guilt?

Fear?

Empathy?

Sadness...

It was now that you finally...

Fell asleep...