Chapter 5-Mirkwood Patrol

Start from the beginning

Tauriel handed out pieces of Lembas, cheese and apples.

"I wouldn't say 'proud'. I'm quite sure that they just tolerate me. They're probably very relieved that I am gone for a while." Catalina sunk her teeth into the red apple.

"Actually, my father was told you were one of the most well behaved. People really appreciate your presence."

"Of course; as long Loki and I aren't together. The both of us are a royal ball's worst nightmare. What else was your father told?" Catalina eyed Legolas with a hint of suspicion. She wondered who told the elven king that she was well behaved.

"That was all I heard really. So far, I would not regard you as anything less."

"You've only known me for a few days Prince Legolas. I'm sure your view of me will change by the time I leave here."

They ate in silence. Catalina knew they were glancing over at her, wondering how much they would learn about her by the time she left.

The sun began to set on Middle-Earth as Catalina, Tauriel and Legolas filed into the gates behind the other elven soldiers. King Thranduil stood to the side with Veryangole. They watched the soldiers carefully, observing for serious injuries or missing soldiers. The king's eyes caught Catalina's ripped sleeve and cut cheek.

"Princess Catalina," he stopped them, "what, may I ask, was your day like?" He pulled the group over to the side, allowing Veryangole to examine the rest of the warriors.

"It was quite enjoyable, thank you my lord." Catalina wondered what he was getting at, then she remembered: the cut on her cheek and the ripped sleeve. But there was no hiding it now, the king had his fingers around the limp fabric of her torn sleeve.

"What happened to your face and arm?"

"Well I just -"

"A spider," Legolas cut her off. He realized what she had meant about his view of her changing : she was more like her brother Loki than people initially thought. But she was also very modest, so she would probably come up with a petty little fib about how she got her cuts, other than straight out saying that a spider had jumped on top of her.

"A spider?" The elven king glanced at his son.

"Yes, she saved me from being crushed by a spider." Tauriel joined in.

"Did the spider fall on you?" The king asked, his eyebrows furrowing, and Catalina nodded.

"She slaughtered it, and many more. Ada, she's an outstanding warrior." Legolas smiled, watching Catalina's cheeks turn pink.

King Thranduil looked back to Catalina. He turned away, "Princess, you will not be going on any more patrols."

Legolas, Tauriel's and Catalina's jaws dropped. Legolas gave Veryangole an evil glare, while the advisor strutted away.
"I'm so sorry. I didn't know he'd say that. I'll try to persuade him, I usually can." Legolas turned to Catalina.

The princess shrugged, "it's alright. It is not the end of the world. Thanks for trying though, you made me look way too good." She smiled and shook her head.
"Those things were true though my lady," Tauriel reasoned.

"You can just call me Catalina." She smiled and began walking back to her room.

********

Legolas knocked softly on the door of his father's room.

"Ada?"

The king smiled, letting his son in.
"I need to speak to you about Princess Catalina," Legolas paced slowly in front of his father.