Chapter 5-Mirkwood Patrol

The next morning, Catalina followed Legolas to the clearing where the soldiers were falling into line.

Homesickness had plagued Catalina's night and therefore her sleep had been minimal. Still, she fell into line with the others and as soon as orders were given and specified, they dispersed, congregating into their assigned groups. Catalina walked beside Legolas and Tauriel, as they went further into the forest, following a path that had been covered mostly with underbrush.

The trio was silent as they walked deeper into the forest, the leaves crunching underneath their feet.
"Does Asgard have patrols such as these my lady?" Tauriel broke the silence, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Yes, some of the soldiers regularly patrol the castle, others patrol the borders, and others patrol the entire kingdom."

"You do not go to war with the soldiers?"

"Actually I've been going to war with them since I became a fighter. I suppose it is a good thing, but we have not gone to war in a few hundred years." Catalina nonchalantly stepped over a branch.
Legolas suddenly stopped, "be quiet, I hear something." He pulled an arrow from his quiver and Tauriel followed suit.

Catalina's eyes scanned the shadows, her muscles tensing up in anticipation. She looked up and met the many eyes of a giant spider, looming right above Tauriel. They all looked up, and they all seemed to freeze up, all wondering what to do.
Suddenly Catalina shoved Tauriel away, who in turn pushed Legolas just as the spider toppled from the trees, falling right on top of Catalina.

"Princess!" Legolas and Tauriel lunged for the spider, but both ducked as the spider went flying into the trunk of a tree, a dagger wedged deep into its head.

Catalina shook her head and stood up, pulling a clump of web from her hair.
"My lady I'm so sorry I didn-" Tauriel rushed to Catalina's side.

"That was amazing," Catalina smiled and pulled her dagger out of the spider. "You don't have to be sorry. I didn't die," she dusted herself off, "and none of us are hurt so you have nothing to worry about."

Tauriel looked relieved but Legolas still shifted nervously. He took his bow and shot another approaching spider.

"What's wrong?" Catalina jumped next to Legolas, yanking her daggers out of the spider and throwing one to lodge in another spider's eye.

"I'm going to have to tell my father about what happened." Legolas tossed an extra arrow to Tauriel.

"Why?" Catalina grabbed a spider by the fangs and stabbed it.

"He'll get it out of me one way or another. Besides, you can't hide a gash such as that very easily." He gestured to a hole in Catalina's shirt arm that a spider had ripped open.

"Why is it such a big deal?"

"My father doesn't want you hurt. I overheard that he must send a detailed report back to Asgard at the end of the year about your well being. So he'll most likely be asking you about your arm, and your face." He watched a spider's clawed leg make a long slit on her cheek bone.

The three stood together amongst the spider carcasses, observing their work. When Legolas had nodded his approval, they continued on through the forest. Around mid-day the trio reached the river, where the trees receded and the sun shone on the water, making the ripples sparkle. Legolas and Tauriel sat down, their legs dangling off the rock.

"You can sit down; we don't bite." Legolas smiled as Catalina slowly sat down next to Tauriel.

"You are a very skilled warrior my lady, I'm sure Asgard is proud."