Chapter 2: From Bad To Worse

Chapter 2: From Bad to Worse

"Dad! What the hell happened to you?!" Hachiuma exclaimed.

Kousuke trembled as he bled out, and his fists were clenched. His body was so messed up that he was struggling to keep his fists clenched, and his fingers began to shake. Hachiuma didn't know what to do, and he was distraught with fear and worry.

"I got into a bar fight," Kousuke said. "I lost the fight when the guy who I was fighting had his buddies join in. But I drove home before the cops could come."

His words were very broken, and blood was dripping from his mouth. Hachiuma fumbled for his cell phone and flipped it open, and he dialed for the police. Hachiuma smashed on the button with the little green phone on it frantically, and he put the phone up to his ear. His hands were shaking nervously all over the place, and he couldn't control himself.

"Tokyo Police Department, what's your emergency?" a woman's voice asked.

"My Dad is bleeding all over the place!" Hachiuma cried. "He got into a fight and he got banged up pretty bad!"

"Calm down sir," she said. "An ambulance is being dispatched immediately."

Hachiuma slapped his phone shut, disconnecting the call, and rushed over to his Dad. Kousuke's condition was getting worse every second, and there wasn't anything Hachiuma could do for him. He felt so much anger and fear building inside of himself, and Hachiuma couldn't withhold it.

"Hachiuma..." Kousuke said.

"Yes Dad?" Hachiuma responded with his eyes beginning to water.

"Don't be like me," Kousuke said. "Be someone. Don't be a failure. Don't be a drunk. Don't be a loser."

He sat in his shame silently, and soon Kousuke began to cry too. His whole life had been successful until the fateful night of the nuclear fallout. After his wife's death he'd led his life down a road of sorrow and failure, and he wasted what was left inside of himself.

"Who did this to you?" Hachiuma asked, grabbing his father's attention.

"I don't know his name," Kousuke replied. "But I know what he looks like. He was wearing a black leather jacket, sunglasses, and he has jet black hair."

"Dad, why didn't wait for the police to come?" Hachiuma said.

"I was scared he'd come looking for me..." Kousuke replied. "I didn't want you to be in danger Hachiuma. I promised your mother we'd never let you be in danger..."

"I'm going to find him," Hachiuna swore.

"Don't do anything...st...st-stupid!" Kousuke said as his speech was breaking. "Hach...Hachiuma...I l-love...y-you..."

"Dad!" Hachiuma exclaimed.

Hachiuma's father's eyes remained open, but they were stagnant. He felt Kousuke's hand, and it was growing cold. Hachiuma felt his wrist, and there was no pulse. Hachiuma let go of his father's wrist, and he fell to his knees. He pounded the floor as he burst into tears, and he clenched his fists in bitterness.

Hachiuma left the apartment and he was gone before the police arrived, for the apartment was really far from the police department. He walked out into the cold rain to the bar his father visited every night since they had moved in. It was nearly midnight by the time he got there, and

Hachiuma stood outside the bar. It was still open. He tried to read the name, but the sign was mostly burned out. Plus it was raining and dark. Hachiuma went inside.

Two men stopped him.

"Are you twenty-one?" one asked.

"Yes." Hachiuma grunted.

"That's bullshit!" the other one said. Now, someone Hachiuma knew from school came up to them.

"It's cool, he's twenty-one." he said. "I invited him here. He's just a short-ass." Hachiuma recognized him, but he didn't know his name. He knew his name though. He'd met him in the hall earlier. He sure looked twenty-one.

The two now backed off, and Hachiuma walked onwards. He sat down at a table in the back with the kid.

"Hachiuma, right?" he said.

"Yea." Hachiuma replied.

"I'm Haeke." he replied. "I know why you're here. I saw your Dad get beat up. I come here every night like he does."

Great, your average druggie and drinker from school, Hachiuma thought.

"I get in with a fake, but convincing identity. And I have height and looks to back it up." Haeke whispered. "I don't know the name of the man who beat the hell out of your Dad, but I know his nick name."

"Tell me." Hachiuma snapped.

"Don't get pushy with me." Haeke snapped back. "But I'll let you off the hook this time."

You may look twenty-one Haeke, Hachiuma thought. But you look like a twenty-one year old with no life. I'd beat your ass in a heart beat.

"His name is the Crush." Haeke said. Hachiuma had to hold back from laughing. That nickname sounded like the leader of a second grade bully gang. Hachiuma wasn't really sure whether he should be afraid of getting his ass beat, or getting his lunch money taken.

"He escaped before the cops came." Haeke said. "But I know where he hides out. I wouldn't tell the police, or I'd get killed in my sleep. They don't know I'm a minor either."

Okay, now I'm scared, Hachiuma thought. Haeke now leaned over to Hachiuma's ear. He whispered the address into Hachiuma's ear. Hachiuma tried to hold his breath. Haeke's breath smelled of alcohol and cigarettes.

Hachiuma nodded. He thanked Haeke and stood up. He then silently walked out of the bar and into the darkness.