Interlude: The Heights

In retrospect, I should have realized that we were in the Heights. I did, eventually, but at first I though that maybe I'd just blinded myself. Or caused some kind of strange cloud to descend upon my bedroom. I didn't know that I'd brought mine and Lynx's consciousness to the living space of our ancestors and all the other good souls of the world. I guess I should count myself lucky that I hadn't sent us to the Deep. Now that would have been dangerous. 

It was a goal of mine to end up in the Heights at the end of my earthly life. I was a good kid. I was a good soul. I strove to be the best person I could be most of the time. Yet there I was, suddenly casting black spells and doing magic that I wasn't supposed to even think about until I was an adult. The Heights were reserved for elders to visit. Of course, there were cases of historical troublemakers who held seances and such, the most recent being Juniper Nighthawk, who wanted to commune with a boy she'd briefly dated for a few months before he tragically overdosed at a rave. I thought it was understandable, but the Elder's took away Juniper's wand for a year when they'd found out what she'd done. A year with no spell casting! It seemed pretty harsh. but on the plus side, I heard she's doing really well now as a high school guidance councillor.