Chapter Twenty- Cortado

Start from the beginning

I feel someone stop my hand from moving causing me to look up. Pat looks at me worried as she sees the tears streaming down my cheeks.

"Go home early and rest," she says softly.

I shake my head,"I'm fine."

"No, you aren't."

Pat takes the rag from my hand and pushes me towards the door after taking off my apron.

"Pat, I'm fine," I insist.

"Bye, dear." Pat says before closing the door behind me once I am outside.

I sigh, not having the energy to argue with her. I tighten my hold on my bag as I walk down the streets of town, silent tears leaving my eyes.

It was going so well. Everything was going so well but what's going to happen now? What is going to happen to Max and I? Everything was going so well but why in one moment did everything become complicated?

I let out a big breath, feeling my chest tighten even more. I don't want to get hurt but I can't leave Max. Not now. As scary as it is, I admit that my feelings for Max have grown deeper and leaving Max now is like taking a part of me away. Max holds a very special place in my heart and I can't just let him go. I believe that if you really care for someone you would stick with them through thick and thin. Ester is clearly going to oppose our relationship now but I have done nothing wrong. I'm not a gold digger.

I finally arrive home and I'm surprise to see Max there as well leaning against his car," What are you doing here?"

"I know you are not okay, Jade. How can I leave you alone?" Max runs a hand through his hair.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to run away at the first sign of trouble," I smile at him.

"I'm sorry about my mother, I don't understand what is going on."

"It's fine, we will sort this out together."

Max pulls me into a hug, "I won't let you get hurt again."

"I know," I wrap my arms around his torso.

"If anything happens, please tell me."

"I will, Bug Boy," I pull away slightly and pinch his cheeks.

"Watch it, Cat woman," Max finally smiles.

"You smiled," I beam causing Max to roll his eyes.

"You should be scared of my smile."

"And why is that?" I lean my head to the side.

"It's blindingly gorgeous," Max starts to film a Colgate ad.

"You and your Colgate ads," I roll my eyes, a small smile on my lips.

"Colgate ads?" Max looks at me oddly.

"Yes, Colgate ads. Your darn pearly whites," I mumble.

"Well, I can't control the fact that every part of me is sexy," Max smirks.