Chapter Two

It felt like I was being pulled everywhere at once. I didn’t know up from down. Suddenly I fell into something hard. I was on the ground in a small room with one door and no windows. Looking around, I saw that the only things in here with me were Chris and the man. I still didn’t know his name. I decided to ask.

“My name is August. Welcome to Greenwards Academy, the school for people like you.”

“What is your gift? I mean, everyone here must have gifts including you, right?”

August smiled at me and rose his arm slowly, until it pointed at my feet. Something green and soft sprouted under my bare feet. Glancing down in bewilderment I discovered it was grass.

“So you make grass grow?” Chris laughed and I staggered back. I had forgotten he was there, hiding in the corner with his hands embedded in his blue jacket. Everything he was wearing was black.

“Not just grass, every plant, flower and tree there is.” I imagined a giant spiky plant attacking me. I shivered and became aware of how cold it was. Chris took off his jacket and handed it to me. I put it on gratefully, even though it was way too big.

“How did you find me? How do you know my name? How-”

“I’ll answer everything later. But for now, do you know where you came from?”

“No.”

“Do you remember your parents?”

“No.”

“Do you recall anything about having a family?” I thought hard, sifting through my mind, and came up blank.

“I don’t remember anything except-”

Suddenly my mind felt as if it were exploding! I hunched over in pain as images flashed through my mind as fast as a bullet train.

I saw a woman and man running with me through a dark alleyway. Then they were falling, and lay lifeless on the ground. I felt sad and scared. A girl pulled me away and we ran. It didn’t matter where, just away from pain and anguish.

Then everything went black.

“Go get the nurse! Bailee! Bailee, stay with me!”

“Ughhhh.” I groaned and slowly opened my eyes. Once again I awoke to see August staring at me, concern etched into his deep brown eyes. A moment later Chris appeared with a young lady. She had long red hair and dark green eyes. She smiled at me and opened a black suitcase. She pulled out some instruments and got to work checking my head, which still felt like it was on fire.

“My name is Angelina. Your head is fine, but just in case I need to ask you a few questions.” I looked into her eyes and I felt like I could tell her anything. Chris saw and grabbed Angelina’s hand.

“Oi! You’re hypnotising her! Put on your glasses.”

“Oh!” Angelina moved away and pulled out some dark shades. She put them on and instantly I felt like I was suddenly free from harm.

“I have that effect on people,” She stated, grinning cheekily. “To start with, what is your gift?” I looked at her in utter confusion.

“My what?”

“Your gift. Surely they didn’t bring you here for nothing.” She turned to August. “What is the meaning of this?”

“Wait. Let me explain. She does have a gift. She’s an elemental.” Realisation dawned on me as I thought of my strange abilities. I could control the air, and sometimes when I go drink at the river, I feel as though I can control it.

“Ohhhh! Goody! We need more elementals. So tell me Bailee, can you control fire? Or maybe water? Or maybe all of them! Or maybe-”

“Don’t overwhelm her.” August gave a ‘be quiet’ stare to Angelina and turned to me.

“You can control water and air, yes?”

“Yes, kind of.” Angelina, now left in the shadows like Chris, mumbled something about being needed at the nurse’s office and left.

“Now, that’s enough for today. Chris will show you to your room. School starts tomorrow, so get a good nights rest.” August exited the room and Chris started heading for the door. I followed. We walked down a long narrow hallway with doors every three metres. Eventually he came to a stop at a door, and I banged into him.

“Sorry.” He ignored me.

“This is your room. There is a box of all the essentials on your bed, including a map of the school. Your lessons start at nine sharp. I will come get you.” Then he turned and walked away without looking back.