Chapter One

Spinning. All I could see was an endless world of circles, rotating in all different directions.

“Bailee! Bailee!” The voice sounded far far away, but I knew it was close by.

“I don’t think she can hear us.” My eyelids fluttered open and a bright daylight forced them into a squint.

“Bailee, can you hear me?” Someone gently picked me up and put me on my blistered feet. They caught me as I stumbled forward, heading for the ground again.

“Easy there.” He was a young man, judging by his voice, around the age of twenty-eight.

“What do you want?” It came out as a croaky yelp, so I swallowed and tried again.

“What do you want with me?” This time it came out loud and clear.

“Well, come with me and find out.”

“Now why would I do that?”

“Because you have no choice in your state.”

“Oh really?”

“Yup.” I opened my hazel eyes, now fully adjusted to look at him. He had long dark hair and olive skin. His eyes were a chocolate brown. We were surrounded by big oak trees, and leaves crunched under my feet as I stepped up to his face.

“You don’t know what I’m capable of.”

“Really? Are you sure? You would be surprised.” I smirked at his confidence.

“Okay then, if you can beat me to the end of this forest that way,” I pointed one way, “I’ll come with you; otherwise leave me alone.”

“Agreed, just say when.” I stepped away from his hold and combed my hand through my straight brown hair. My freckled cheeks felt hot, but I didn’t care. This was going to be easy. I clenched my fist.

“Ready?”

“When you are.”

“On 3. 1, 2, 3!” I dashed into the trees and willed the air to obey me. My soft feet left the ground and once I knew I was winning, I turned my oval head. He wasn’t in sight.

“Well, that was easy.” I exclaimed as the end of the forest came in sight. I lowered myself to the ground and walked to the exit. In the distance I could see a small town, and having nothing better to do, I headed for it.

“Took you long enough.” I stumbled back and turned to see the man from before, except he was with another boy with curly blonde hair and dark purple eyes. I figured they were contacts. He looked around my age, 15.

“How did you get here? Last I saw you were miles behind me.”

“We’re just like you. We have powers as well.”

“What?”

“Come with us, and you won’t have to hide it from civilisation. We can help you control it.”

“Fine. A deal’s a deal. But how will we get there?”

I searched eagerly for some kind of transportation, but all I could see was trees, hills and a town. The man then pointed at the young boy.

“This is Chris. He was the reason you lost. He can teleport. Grab his hand and we can go. Oh, and just a question, but what is your superhero name?”

“What do you mean?” He nodded in understanding.

“Ah. You still haven’t decided. That’s okay, tell me when you do.”

I stepped forward and took Chris’ hand. It was unusually cold, and felt like stone. With Chris’ other hand he held the man’s. And then out of his fingertips shot some weird liquid that fell in a puddle in front of us. It was purple, and looked like slime. I peered closer and saw an image of a family inside it. They were all having a picnic together and seemed like the typical happy family.

“Is that where we’re going?” I questioned.

“Where?” Chris replied.

“With that family in the puddle. Don’t you see them?” His face turned extremely pale.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He was a very bad liar but I understood that he didn’t want to tell me so I stopped asking. He relaxed and took a deep breath.

“Jump,” he said and we stepped into the goo.