Chapter Twenty Four- Rebels

Sibani above

I sat up in bed, scared and dizzy. I looked around to see all of the sister wives were gathered around me, watching me with concern in their eyes. My brow furrowed, trying to figure out where I was and why was I here. Then I remembered King Ambhi. I gasped trying to get up, but winced in pain. I looked down to see bruises on my arms and waist. I looked up at Mandra in horror.

"Shh. Stay in bed Roxana. Your husband is on his way. Just relax for now," Mandra coerced.

I laid back down, my head spinning and still reeling with a painful headache. I looked over at Mandra, trying to focus my vision. She patted my head.

"W-what happened? How long have I been out?" I stammered.

"It's been a couple of hours since Geeta found you. Geeta saw Ambhi fondling you while you were unconscious. She made an excuse for him to leave you and then she brought you to us. She went to alert Alexander," I tried to make sense of every word she spoke, taking it all in.

Mandra took my hands in hers, looking into my eyes, "Roxana, please do not tell Alexander about Ambhi. If so, their alliance will be off and that will bring destruction to us. Do not tell Ambhi that Geeta saved you, or she will be put to death immediately. You must understand, Roxana, that confidentiality is a necessity for our survival in the harem. Please keep quiet for all our sake's," Mandra pleaded.

I didn't want to bring war to Mandra and her sister wives, nor did I want to see the execution of Geeta. Since my being here, I have grown fond of Ambhi's harem and wished they were my sisters as well. Although I was just a stranger, they welcomed me like family. I wouldn't wish anything bad upon them.

"I will not tell a soul," I agreed.

Alexander rushed in, Geeta following close behind him. He collapsed at my bedside, worry stricken across his face. Clasping both of my hands tightly, he laid his head on my stomach. My husband squeezed my hands, looking up at me in concern.

"Tell me what happened. Who did this to you?" He begged to know.

"A servant just tried to take advantage of me," I lied blatantly.

"What the hell did the bastard look like? I vow I will hunt him down until he is writhing in pain beneath my mercy," he growled.

"I am fine, Your Majesty," I groaned, slowly standing, smoothing out my skirts, "I must get back to things,"

"No. You need your rest, as do I. Come back to bed with me," Alexander urged.

Before I could protest, Alexander swept me up quickly off the ground, carrying me out of the room before I could say my goodbyes to the sister wives. I squealed in surprise as he carried me up the stairs and down the long corridors to our chamber. Kicking open the door with his foot, he brought me into the chamber and laid me down upon the bed, crawling under the animal skins with me. He snuggled up to me, inhaling my scent.

I don't know how long we stayed there like that, locked in each other's arms. Silence took control of the chamber, and to be honest, I relished it. I loved how comfortable I felt in this moment. These were the moments I held onto with all my heart.

"What did you discuss with Ambhi?" I asked hesitantly.

"We spoke with a council of all the leaders. King Porus will not surrender in any way. Tomorrow we will be going to war with Porus and his army. Then he will finally be at my mercy and I will have my control in India completely established," Alexander explained before tilting my head up to look at him, "Like I told you before, you are staying here with the sister wives while we are in battle. If anything happens to me, I need to know that you are safe and out of harm's way. Promise me that,"