Chapter Twenty Two-Intoxication

Perdiccas above

The palace was unlike anything I had ever seen. It had been more lavish than that of my own home. Bright colors were used to make the palace seem vibrant and exciting. There were beautiful tapestries, rugs, and paintings everywhere. Gold and jewels decorated almost everything in sight. The sweet aroma of delicious food filled my nose and made my stomach rumbled in hunger. Servants came out with golden platters with the most exotic foods displayed before us. Dancers stayed on their own little platforms to entertain the men. Even some concubines were now in the our midst's, alluring the soldiers with their intoxicating curves. 

Jealousy boiled within me as a concubine crawled into the lap of my Alexander, a playful smile tugging on her lips. He smiled as his hands went to her waist, holding the nameless girl on his groin as she rubbed herself against him, Alexander releasing a groan in the process. I rolled my eyes in disgust until I had noticed some women beginning to gather around me as well, touching my armor, as if they really would marvel just a mere soldier. They giggled and closed in on me, almost wanting to hang onto me. I shrugged them off, shuffling away from them. 

My back suddenly bumped into another and I turned to stare into the eyes of Perdiccas. He looked surprised and uncomfortable as well with all the women around. It was amusing to see him this way, befuddled by his surroundings.I recalled when father told me how strong and skilled Perdiccas was in battle, and how father's men believe he was immortal. No one could kill him, although many had tried. 

"I see you are avoiding the women as well warrior," he said with a chuckle. 

"Well women isn't my goal to have on this journey," I replied. 

"A journey? No one speaks of these travels as a journey. A journey was where you find yourself. Instead we are losing ourselves day by day. Women keep a man from falling into the pits of darkness war wrought on their souls. That is why we partake in their offerings," Perdiccas scoffed. 

"Then why don't you partake as well?" I asked. 

"Because I have already fallen into the darkness no one returns from. I welcome death, but it is my curse that I shall not receive it," he admitted. 

"Why it is a gift to have seen the things you have seen, and to tell your children that you lived," I said with a small smile. 

Perdiccas did something odd at that moment. He smiled. 

"Thank you," he whispered before disappearing among the crowd of soldiers and concubines. 

I filled my belly with delicious food and stayed out of the way of everyone. I watched the dancers just like the rest of the soldiers did so I could blend with them. Alexander paid no mind to his men as he had a dancer on each side of him, Alexander eyeing them up like they were both a piece of meat. Anger surged through my veins, but I suppressed it by throwing down another glass of wine down my throat. Then a drum was beaten to signal royal King Ambhi. The dancers stopped what they were doing, dropping to their knees like a dog and awaiting further instructions. All the men stood, waiting for Ambhi to enter the room. 

Ambhi waltzed in with his men behind him, warrior with spears lined up close to him. Ambhi was a rather large man, robes hanging loosely on him, the ground almost shaking as he thundered in. A long dark beard masked his frown and his eyes were dark as well, beholding wisdom. He looked wise beyond his years, even wiser than Alexander. I watched he approached Alexander. 

"Welcome! I am King Ambhi. I hear you are the famous Alexander of Macedonia. It is an honor to have you in my palace!" Ambhi greeted, outstretching his arms for Alexander, the corners of his eyes lifting with his hearty laugh.