Chapter Twelve: Snakes

Yesterday went by quickly. I spent my time in bed, only Theti and Ebony visiting me. The only time Alexander came to me was at night in his drunken stupor, stumbling in and collapsing on his palette. I was glad when he left, leaving me to be swallowed up by my thoughts. The dream from the other night kept worming itself into my head. He has not always been a monster, yet it was hard to believe. Could I allow myself to care for the monster in order to protect my Bactria?

I was taken to the whorehouse. The men and women both worked on packing up the equipment, hauling it up on the horses' backs. Most of the tents were already disassembled and us women disrobed and found ourselves in comfortable clothing. Campaspe had been missing all morning, her tent not even packed yet and neither was Alexander's tent. We all searched for her, us all scouring the camp for her and splitting up. Maybe Alexander knew perhaps where she had gone off to. 

"Alexander, we need to-,"

As I entered His Majesty's tent, I became curious. A trail of clothing led further into the tent. I followed the garments and slowly looked upon to see where the trail had ended. 

There, on Alexander's palette, did lie Alexander and another woman. His hair was plastered to his face with sweat as he held her tight to his naked body. Their mouths were on each other's as if it were the last time they would kiss. Their legs were entangled in a knot as he began to thrust into her beneath the sheets. She moaned against his lips. The same lips I craved to kiss. She lifted her head as I saw the eyes that belonged to Campaspe. She smirked and tilted Alexander's chin in my direction. I saw the lust that filled his eyes to the brim. It broke me inside as I fought the tears that threatened to fall. At the sight of me though, he froze. 

"Looks like we have a visitor," Campaspe said against his ear. 

"Roxana...,"

"I see that your whores are more important than your men and your future empire," I said, standing my ground, "I will be leaving now, Your Majesty,"

"Wait, Roxana!" 

I stormed out of the tent. What was I thinking? I couldn't possibly love a man like that. Campaspe would always have him to herself. I never stood a chance against her. He could love whoever he wanted, and he would break my heart into a thousand of pieces every time. What was I saying? I didn't love him, right? No, I love Kiro. He will forever be my only love. Not even a conqueror could take that from me. 

____________________________________________________________________________________

"His Majesty has summoned you to his tent before we depart," Cleitus spoke atop his stallion. I gave him a questioning look. Did the King really think I would come to him willingly?

"And what if I don't?" I retorted. 

Without a second thought, Cleitus reached down and scooped me up upon his horse, taking me in the direction of the King's tent. Once arrived, I was tugged off the back of the horse and hauled into the tent to come face to face with Alexander. 

"Leave us," he ordered.

I trembled at his tone of voice with his demands. Was he angry with my actions this morning? At that moment, he turned to me with a fire in his eyes. I couldn't tell if it were good or bad. 

"I have broke bread with your father. It is final, I am to marry you at the beginning of the new year," he informed.

I stood my ground although in my mind I was falling to pieces. How could father agree to torture me in such ways by making me marry the monster? My eyes drifted up to meet the frustration in his own eyes. He gripped my chin, forcing me not to look away.