Chapter 1

~ CONNOR ~

"Connor, can you please stop playing with that old thing, please?" His dad started shouting from downstairs, the usual boom of his voice piercing Connor's fine-tuned ears. He was, as usual, secretly playing with his guitar, which his dad didn't know about, in his room. He tried playing it as soft as he can, but no matter how soft he played, the sound of his guitar always managed to go through the paper-thin walls to his annoyed dad's ears.

"Sorry, that was my music!" He lied, then he immediately put his guitar back in its case. He quickly grabbed his Biology book which was resting on the table, wore his reading glasses, then turned the book open to their current lesson, which was the cell cycle, just in case his dad decides to barge in his room and look at what he was doing.

To his luck, he did. He looked away from his book, looked at his father and listened to what he had to say.

"Connor, how many times do I have to tell you that music around this house must strictly be classical only? Your music is distracting you from having a bright future, son. Learn how not to be distracted, okay?" His dad, who was slightly infuriated, told him.

"Okay, dad." He said with a straight face. That excuse of a sentence was actually what he would often say to his father. His father went away and closed the door, then he continued reading his book. While he was reading, he heard a pebble hit his window. He looked up to the window and saw his next-door neighbour, Kath, holding a sign.

What're you studying? It read. He smiled and grabbed his sketch pad that he used whenever he'd talk to Kath.

Cell cycle :( He wrote on his sign. He lifted it up so she could see what he wrote, but to his surprise, she wasn't there. He opened his window and looked around.

"Hi!" Kath was just outside his window, which scared the shit out of Connor.

"Bloody hell, Kath, you scared me!" He said while he put his hand on his chest. Kath giggled while she climbed in his room.

"How'd you even climb the walls so quick?" He asked her when she finally had both of her feet on his bedroom floor.

"I've told you before, I'm an expert climber. Plus, you took really long in replying to me, which bought me enough time to come here."

"Good enough reason." He said.

"Good enough?" She asked him.

"Fine, I believe you." He said, then she jokingly shoved him. Don't be mistaken - this was how she usually greeted him.

"That kinda hurts." He said with a small pout. She just laughed at him.

"Don't be a baby, Ball."

"I'm not one, Thompson."

"So, what're you studying?"

"Cell cycle."

"I know. I can't believe our teacher's going to give us a hard quiz, like, she didn't even teach us properly!" She ranted. Connor couldn't agree with her, though. He didn't really pay that much attention in class, so he couldn't tell if she was right or not.

"Help me understand, please?" She asked with her puppy eyes.

"Fine. But, we're calling James. I was just about to give up on this." He said with a pout as he grabbed his phone and called his only friend from school. Kath wasn't exactly his friend at school - her best friend is homophobic, which meant that hanging out with them would be really awkward.

"Hello?" James picked up the phone. Connor sighed in relief.

"Hey, mate. Are you busy?"

"I sort of am at the moment. Why, what's up?"