I try to change the mood by asking Josh how his morning is. He shrugs. "Same as every other day."

"Is this a daily routine?" I ask.

"Everything is a daily routine." Josh sounds annoyed. "Every single day is the same thing over and over again. Wake up early, eat, watch Dad get pissed off, work, eat, watch Dad get pissed off again, and sleep. Then repeat."

Chris changes positions uncomfortably next to me. "What's wrong with him?"

"Mom says he's stressed," Amy chimes in.

"Which is bullshit," Josh says.

"Josh!" I scold him.

"It is! He's been like this even before we got here. Slowly he's just gotten angrier and angrier. Everyone pretends it's not happening but it is."

"Has he been getting violent?" I ask.

Now Amy shuffles uncomfortably.

Josh looks around, making sure no one is in ear-range. Then he gets closer and whispers, "I think he killed two of our guards."

I look at him in shock. "What?"

"Two of our guards died not too long ago. I know Dad was pissed at them, I'd always hear him cursing and yelling at them and about them. I don't think they really did anything wrong. He just never liked the two when they came here. He sent them both out together to scope out the perimeter. The day passed and neither of them came back. Dad was also gone during that time. When he got back he was sweating and panting and wiping blood off onto his shirt. He said he got into a close fight with an infected but I think he was lying."

"Did they ever come back?" Chris whispers.

"The next morning Dad went out with a few more guards to look for them. He found them right away, both dead. Murdered." Josh stands up and grabs our trays. "He sliced their throats."

Josh walks away with the trays and leaves us in shock. I can't speak for a minute, so in disbelief. I put my head on the table and run fingers through my knotted hair. What the hell.

Chris rubs my back and changes the subject for Amy. I don't listen to it. I can't focus on anything but the fact that what Naoto and I thought might be true. And might be taking over my own father.

I pick my head up when I feel Chris get up. "I'm going to check on the group, see how they're doing," Chris says.

Chris leaves me with Amy. She looks at me and frowns. "I don't think Dad would do that. Do you?"

"I don't know, Amy. I don't know." I rub my eyes and listen to her get up and walk away. She's also in denial, just like Mom. But they're both so terrified of him. I can see it in their eyes whenever they hear his voice.

"Hey, babe." A feel a hand touch my back. A hand that's not Chris's.

I shrug James off immediately. I stand up and walk away from him. Avoiding the situation.

He follows me out of the cafeteria. I wait until we're far enough from everyone to turn around and say, "Stay away from me."

"Alice . . ." James reaches out for my hand but I step back.

"We're not together, James. We're nothing. So leave Chris and I alone, okay?"

He looks hurt. His face falls in sadness, and I feel a pinch of guilt. "I'm sorry," he says quietly. "I didn't mean to scare you or be intimidating. I thought you remembered me and everything. I know it's been a few months since we've talked, since we've kissed." He takes a step closer. "I was so scared when I found out they didn't take you with them. I saw your father and I thought you were with him. I was so happy. But then I saw everyone but you and I thought . . . I thought you died."