Chapter 7: Cupids Arrow

Deep in a green forest, walks the most powerful warlock that has ever blessed the Earth, but here, he is not Emrys nor is he a King. No, here he is simply Merlin, a man in love. "This is where the children go to learn from one of the elders about the tribal history." Merlin explains to the woman whose arm is interlaced with his as they listen to the aged woman explain what Magic was and why it existed.

One young boy though seemed rather restless though, constantly in motion as he shifted back and forth. "Elder, I don't understand why we have to know this! Can't we learn how to be great? Like Emrys!" The little boy questioned and all the children jumped up and cheered. "I wanna be just like the great Emrys!" They were chanting and jumping around. "Well, if you want to be just like Emrys, let's hear what he knows, shall we?" The wise woman softly questioned and evenly gazed towards Merlin with kind eyes.

A hush fell upon the young children as they eagerly awaited whatever it was that Merlin would say. "Well... I really don't have much I can tell you that your Elder can't. When I started, I was just like you, I only wanted to use magic and had no desire to understand when to use it and when to not. Gaius, my teacher, often got, and still does, get quite annoyed with me. Your Elder is filled with knowledge that I have only scratched the surface to and she wishes to share it with you, do not take this for granted. Unfortunately, I have much to do with this beautiful young lady here, so, if you'd excuse me." He nodded his head but the children were already all over the Elder, who now that Emrys had stated it, was surely the coolest person they knew.

Joetta giggled and the pair continued on their way. Soon enough, they came to the edge of the camp but Merlin kept walking. "Where are you going? The camp is that way!" Joetta questioned as she jogged to catch up. "There is one last place I wish to show you to." He replied and kept walking.

Nearly ten minutes later, Merlin finally pushed past the last bit of foliage and onto the shore line of a rather large lake. The lake was crystal blue surrounded by a emerald green meadow area. A white rapid water fall provided a fresh water spray on an onyx black sheet rock that formed a slippery wall on the south end of the lake. It held a sacred feeling but also a serene one.

"Wow, what is this place?" She asked, Merlin glanced over at her with a eye reaching grin. "A magical one." He stated and walked to the waters edge. "This place is full of life and energy. I truly believe that anyone with a mortal wound would be healed if they were to be submerged in the lakes waters. You can't see it yourself, but I can. I can see the magic surrounding this place, engulfing it in a healing magic that reaches the deepest parts of the soul. It balances the environment of this place and everything exist in harmony." He spoke softly, awed by the power of such a place.

Joetta slowly stalked forward before wrapping her arms around one of his, resting her head lightly upon his shoulder. "It's beautiful." She sighed, but unbeknownst to Merlin, instead of staring at her surroundings, she was simply staring at him. Merlin, in his ignorance, nodded his head, showing his agreeance. "Come, sit down Merlin, let's enjoy this."  Joetta stated and pulled him down onto the soft grass.

They sat together for quiet some time in appreciative silence before Joetta broke it. Sighing heavily she turned to the wizard and spoke. "Have you ever loved Merlin?" She asked him softly, making him turn towards her. "What?" He clarified. "Love, Merlin, have you ever loved?" She asked once more, in hopes that even though they had only known each other for a few days, he would say her name.

She was sorely disappointed.

Merlin sighed and looked across the lake. "I am betrothed Joetta, I must love my future wife and no one else. I have met her once before though, she is a lovely woman, one with ambition but kindness. I only hope that her father has kept the contract, or at least forgotten of its existence." He explained, but Joetta felt her heart drop like it was full of lead, and shatter like it was as fragile as glass. "Oh, is she beautiful?" Joetta asked, though she knew she had no desire to know. "Exquisitely so." He replied, making her throat gain a lump that she had to swallow down. "I wish you the best of luck in your future marriage, we should be heading back now." She murmured and pushed herself up before walking back to the camp, Merlin trailing behind her.

That night Joetta slept none and cried all night in her lonely tent. "Why is Cupids arrow so mean to have pierced my heart but left his? What have I done to deserve this?" She sobbed to herself as her face redened from her tears.

On the morning, Joetta left early, Merlin following with the Knights shortly after her dressed as a group of merchants and their servants.

It was a short trek to Camelot, they didn't go too far any ways. As Joetta walked into the front gates of Camelot, her hair falling around her shoulders and her face serene, she looked beautiful and stoic. As the guards took her to the throne room and as her father sentenced her to hang until death her face remained calm and collected.

Merlin, on the other hand, was barely keeping in his anger at the situation, it took Arthur keeping a tight grip on him to keep the King from revealing his identity right there.

"Are there any things you wish to say?" The False King questioned the girl whose head was bowed towards the floor. Looking up, she smirked at her father and huffed. "Cupid is a bastard." Her words rang out loud and clear, and in that moment, Merlin felt guilt like no other.

He should have told her,  now she may die never. Having known the truth. He has never regretted a decision more than he did in that moment.

Meanwhile, the Dragon riders prepared their dragons and readied the soldiers, sending words to the other groups of sympathizing soldiers tat were near to Camelot. Word had spread like a wild fire to all who knew to listen, a call to arms to those who remember.

The lost King of Larean has returned.

Authors Note

I believe I owe an explanation. School has been busy, especially with finals, on tip of some family issues writing has been like 10th on my list of what I need to do. But, now with school done and no one dying anymore, I can start writing again! Yay! Sorry for the probably boring chapter, but I really wanted to do some character development between Merlin and Joetta, but there are still Somethings about Joetta that I plan on keeping hidden, I am excited though for the next chapter, I hope you guys will like it as much as I am sure I will enjoy writing it. I'm going to try to get a few more chapters done before I update next so incase something happens again, I have something to post so it may be a little while before the next post but it will definitely be a lot less time than the most recent time gap. Enjoy the rest of the story!