Chapter 11: The Mystery of Magic

The army was rallied in Camelot, both red and blue was seen in the sea of men. "Are you ready for this?" Arthur asked Merlin as their horses jeered bellow them.
"I don't know, ask me again later." Merlin muttered as he looked at the army. Arthur didn't say anything else before he turned his horse around and began speaking to the men.

Merlin looked off in the distance, where his home awaited. He could've sworn he saw just the highest most tower of his lost home. Of course, this was reasoned out as his home lay on the other side of some rather large and imposing mountains around ten miles away.

"...And so, for the companionship of two kings, we ride not only for revenge, but for the freedom of those who are not!" Arthur finished, loud cheers being heard from behind Merlin, egging him on. Arthur kicked his horse into a run, followed by Merlin, who was followed by the troops following.

Merlin easily caught up to Arthur and rode at his side, this time as equals. They only slowed to a trout when the forest was so thick that running was an impossibility.

Merlin was lost in his own thoughts, not taking in what was happening around him as he rode atop his steed. His ears strained to hear the dragons that wouldn't take flight until he commanded it. His eyes were unfocused but took in nearly everything. He didn't register the brush of mane against his hands and he didn't care for the woodsy smell that rushed into his nose.

Instead, Merlin was trapped in his mind, the brush of mane became metallic armor that gripped him tight as he was carried away. Instead of a woodsy smell, he smelt smoke, and burnt hair that made him scrunch his nose in distaste. He heard screaming and footsteps that accompanied the clashing of metal and flesh. Instead of a tree, it was his mother than ran infront of him, glancing back to make sure that Merlin was still there. His world was blurry but with a blink, it reverted back to normal, leaving him breathless and confused.

He had never remembered the fight before. It scared him.

Gwain watched his friend with worried eyes. Three times before Merlin had zoned out in his presence.

The first when he had first met the charming young manservant. He stared at a wall for five minutes straight without blinking. He seemed to be trapped in the past but then continued on like nothing happened.

The second time had been one time during training. Arthur was battling with Lancelot when Merlin stared towards the mountains. Thinking back on it, Gawin realized that his young friend was probably reminiscing about his own home and kingdom. It took Arthur five times and a slap to snap Merlin out of his daze. When the King tried to ask Merlin what he was thinking sbout, he gave a barely hidden lie that everyone saw through.

The third one being quite recently, Merlin had just stopped and stared at the throne with a soft smile. Arthur snapped him out of it and asked about what he was thinking about. "Just about how much you've grown as a king. And a clot pole." Merlin retorted with a grin. He ended up having to reclean Arthurs bedchambers.

"Merlin! You thinking about your princess at home? What you're going to do with her when you get back?" Gwain shouted, trying to break his friend from his thoughts. "Maybe you could take some alone time in her room, if you know what I mean." He added with a light chuckle.

"Oh yes, just after I tell her that I killed her father." Merlin added on with a raised eyebrow.
"Those are mere details Merlin. Especially when there's a comfortable bed right there, ask Gwen." Arthur added his imput with a wink and a grin.

Merlin chuckled lightly and shook his head at his friends joyful mentality. It was refreshing given the task they were about to carry out.

Just then, a trap sprang, causing spikes to go straight through an attacking wolf.

The army came to a stop and fell silent. It had dawned on everyone then that the trap was likely meant for them, a dark thought indeed.

"They know we're coming. Everyone stay on gaurd and keep your vigilance. We may not be alone in these woods." Arthur shouted to his men as he shot Merlin a worrisome look.

Arthur and the Knights all rode up to Merlin, where they shared fearful looks.

"How did they know?"
"Could we have a mole?"
"Should we take a different route?"
"What if they're following us now?"
"We could be ambushed without any warning!"
"What should we do?"

"Maybe we should shut up so I can cast the security spell." Merlin suggested, cutting off arguements.

The group stared at Merlin silently as he moved his lips nearly imperceptibly and strange hissing came from his mouth. What really captivated their attention was the flash of gold that overtook his eyes as he finished the chant.

Arthur didn't know what he expected when the spell was casted. Maybe fire to explode from the woods, or water to create a shield around the army. However, he was shocked when nothing appeared to he different.

"Did it work?" Arthur tentatively asked.
"No, I just felt the beetle that scurried from its den around two miles infront of us because nothing happened. What did you expect?" Merlin sarcastically asked as he lazily grinned at the group.
"Fire, a water shield, the forest to move and engulf us. What the hell was that, the only thing that happened was that your eyes flashed." Arthur complained.

Merlin turned and laughed at the King. "Magic isn't that spectacular. Sure I could do something like... this," Merlin started, right away aminals came bounding out of the forest before returning, "but maybe that's to inconspicuous. How about something more closely like, hm, say this?" Merlin offered. Once again, his eyes flashed gold and the forest reacted immediately, the underbrush taking on a life of its own and creating a wall before it went back to its origins postition. "Trust me, I've used them all, but creating an invisible alert primeter allows me plenty of time to take them out before they even realize that I know about them. Plus, it's a lot more inconspicuous, which is huge when most places don't like us magic folk." Merlin explained to his audience with a logical standing.

Arthur nodded in acceptance but then cracked a grin. "Yeah, but come on, a fire wall would be really extraordinary." He joked around.

Merlin rolled his eyes and continued riding. They rode for five more hours, gaining more ground than they expected. The army was called to a hault at the feet of the towering mountains that separated Larean from the rest of Avalon.

Merlin, Arthur, and the Knights were all joking, Gwaine having already hit on the female knights multiple times during the night when Merlin stopped.

"Merlin? What is it?" Mordred asked from his spot next to the King.

"Somethings coming, we need to prepare. I can't stop them all, we will have to fight." Merlin answered, catching the attention of the men and women around the fire.

"We're under attack." Merlin finalized with a fire in his eyes.