[13] Thin Mint Chocolates

Roman's POV

~~~

When I returned from the store, Seth had already arrived as expected. I glanced into the living room on the way to the kitchen and saw only the back of Seth's head peaking over the sofa, which left me confused as I packed the groceries away.

"Where's Dean?" I spoke from the doorway. Seth jumped at the sudden noise and looked over his shoulder.

He broke out into a shy smile, motioning to his lap. I cocked my head and took a step forward to see Dean sleeping with his head on Seth's lap.
I chuckled lightly at the sight.
"You guys do much whilst I was gone?"

My question appeared to shake Seth, as he looked away as if searching for an answer.
"Just... Y'know, catching up. He was tired, I think, so he..." Seth motioned to the sleeping boy on his lap once again and glanced up at me.

I nodded, unconvinced.
Seth continued to struggle under my gaze.
"I'm gonna head home now. My mum wants help with the dinner." He smiled at me briefly and carefully lifted Dean's head, resting it back down onto the sofa. I quickly said goodbye and watched him leave.

After the door closed, I unclenched my balled fists. Balled fists?
I stood in silence trying to decipher these unfamiliar feelings in the pit of my stomach.

The emotions swirled deep inside of me and I felt them rise up high in my throat to choke me. My fists were tight with... Anger? No. I'd experienced that enough to recognise that this was something different. More to the point, what was there to be angry about?

One of my friends had fallen asleep with his head resting on another of my friends. No big deal.
I physically shook the thoughts from my mind and sat beside Dean. He looked peaceful. Like when he was sleeping in the hospital room.

I held my breath when he stirred in his sleep and pushed himself up to rest his head on my lap. Before I realised what I was doing, my hand was in his hair, stroking it soothingly.

His eyes fluttered open. The brightness of that shade of blue startled me.

"Hey."

His voice was quiet as he stared up at me. I smiled down at him and continued to play with his curls.

"Hey yourself."

It was like the rest of the room wasn't there, like the rest of the world didn't exist in that moment. It was just him. His soft hair and his softer eyes. His two dimples positioned perfectly on either side of his warm smile. His rounded lips which I so desperately wanted to...

Which I so desperately was kissing.

They were even softer than they looked. They moved perfectly against mine.
He sat up to angle himself better, with an arm crossed over my legs to rest on the arm of the sofa. His chest was inches from mine.

I wasn't sure how he'd reacted to my bold action. That was until he pushed his tongue through my parted lips and wound a hand up tightly into my loose hair to pull me closer.
I failed to stifle a moan and breathed heavily into the kiss to Dean's satisfaction.

The stubble of his beard rubbed roughly onto mine as he smiled against me. His tongue fought against mine and I let him take over, entirely due to the fact that I was too overwhelmed by the whole situation to do anything else.

"Dean? I bought you some-"

And then it was over. We both quickly recoiled at the sound of a third person in the room. Seth stood in the doorway, with a large box of thin mint chocolates in his hands - Dean's favourite.
I blushed darkly at the realisation that I'd been caught, but my embarrassment quickly turned to confusion when I caught a glimpse of Seth's expression.

His bottom lip quivered ever so slightly, and his eyes filled with tears which threatened to spill.
"Seth." Dean's voice broke the silence and I looked across at him. His face was apologetic and he looked at Seth in shock and in empathy.

Seth's breaths were slow and shaky, and he tore his eyes away from Dean to look directly at me. Tears were trailing down his cheeks now.
His expression made my chest ache. He looked completely and utterly heartbroken. I felt like I'd done something terrible, when really I had no idea what was going on.

Seth swallowed hard and dropped Dean's gift onto the floor, spilling the chocolates all over the carpet before he turned and swiftly left the house.
When I looked over at Dean, expecting him to be as clueless as I was, he was sat with his head in his hands.

"Ah, shit!" He snarled and pushed his hair back only for it to return to cover his eyes.
I stared at the mess on the floor before looking back at Dean.

He jumped up from the couch and hurried to the front door. I followed him to the driveway and watched him run after Seth who was already at the bottom of the street.

"Seth! C'mon, please! Wait!" Dean called after him as he disappeared around the corner.

I leaned against the car parked in the drive. What the fuck was going on? Why was Seth so upset? I mean, yeah his family was religious and all that, but he already knew I was gay.

Fuck, I hoped Dean managed to catch up with him. And fuck, I wished somebody would tell me what was going on.