Chapter 9 - Visit From The Enemy

It all looked so innocent, and the sunlight only added to it. The forest was beautiful, so serene and peaceful. But nothing is ever as it seems in this realm. All sorts of strange and dangerous creatures lurked beneath the boughs, creatures the animals were all too aware of.

"Look at this tree!" Sofia giggled. "It looks so weird!"

The tree was old and twisted, with greyish bark and a crown of tiny leaves.

Sofia stretched her hand towards it.
Don't touch it! her owl mind-linked. Every tree here is home to a dryad, a tree spirit. This one is close to death and those kind do not like to be disturbed.

Sofia snatched her hand back and carried on. Got it, she thought. Trust nothing.

A movement in the trees to the left. A rustle to the right. Were they being followed?

A growl and everyone jumped. There was definitely something there.

A flash of claws was the only warning they got. One moment the narrow path in front of them was empty, the next it was filled with wolves.

***

It was a long, hard fight. These weren't just wolves, they were werewolves. Which meant they could turn human. Which made it harder.

More were appearing all the time, surging out of the trees like a deadly wave, claws swiping, jaws snapping.

Alex went down on one knee as a wolf caught the back of his leg. Distracted with trying to mind-control, Alex had not looked behind. He was about to pay the price.

The wolf yelped as a burst of fire hit it on one side and Alex immediately felt the pressure on his chest lessen. He turned his head to see Breanna give a quick nod and a smile before spinning away to the next attacker.

Cera helped greatly, speeding around the wolves and confusing them enough for them to let their guard down. Abbie was helped up a tree by Chloe, who stood watch as Abbie took out a sheet of paper and a pencil from her small leather bag, all of which given to her by the Keeper, and began to sketch a quick land-serpent, a snake-like creature that could breathe blue fire. She added some of its skills and qualities to help, and willed it to life.

"Everybody stand back!"

Still battling, the friends took a few steps backwards, holding the werewolves at bay. Moments later the serpent came slithering down from the tree, blue ice-flames leaping from its mouth. The wolves howled whenever it touched them, turned tail and ran off.

The serpent snapped its jaws shut and made its way over to the group, tongue flicking, tasting the air. Finally, with a quick nod, it too turned and vanished into the forest.

***

"Never again," Sofia panted, shaking her head. "Although I did see a hot guy when we were fighting. I'm glad I wasn't in my crappy pyjamas cos he was worth impressing."

Cherry shook her head and smiled. "He also tried to kill you," she pointed out. "But yeah, I'm glad we have our normal clothes."

The Keeper had opened the door to their clothes cupboard during the first night of their visit with a flourish, a wide grin on his face. "Pre-brought," he had smiled, and went on to explain that their animals had brought some of their clothes from home even before they had the beach party, plus any necessary things.

Now, they walked in silence. They decided to spend the night in shelters of twigs and leaves, because caves couldn't be trusted. As the birds settled in the trees and the animals lay down next to the humans, only Breanna was left awake. She felt restless, fidgety, and longed to soar up into the darkening sky, seeing the land as she would when she was riding the phoenix. Eventually, though, she managed to fall asleep. And, as she slept, her nails grew a little longer, her eyes a little sharper, and her fire a little stronger.

The EightOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara